But I Think He Looks Skinny

Puggerup he looks amazing!!! Good on you!!!

My two pugs get different amounts of food (one gets 3/4 cup the other 1/2 per day of RC) and they are about 7.7 kg. My Mum nearly cried when she was staying with us that they get so little!!!

If they've even had a chicken wing: they only get a few bikkies as an evening meal (and I mean approx 5). I know you feel mean. You're not. You're saving his life, and giving him a QUALITY life.

He looks great. It can be hard to change the visual perception you have.

All dogs are meant to have a waist a tuck up and on my breeds, I like to see the last rib.

From memory he was having breathing difficulties when he was being exercised. I am quite sure that he would have improved in that department.

My Bitch will eat all day given half a chance, in fact the other day she was on her back legs eating food the kids hadn't from the table!! Dogs are scavengersd and wll eat all day long.

He looks good, keep him at the weight he is and he will live a much longer more trouble free life and have loads more fun that if he is allowed to be overweight.

He can walk a bit further now, so the breathing has improved majorly, but yeh I guess I'm just not used to seeing him this way and not used to seeing both dogs eating like they've been starved. They used to take their time, now 2 gulps and it's gone in less than a minute.

This morning they had half of their daily meal, and tonight I'll give the other half so at least they haven't had to wait the entire day to eat. They are resting peacefully so can't be uncomfortable I suppose.

Puggerup - to me he looks great, and I have no experience with small dogs at all :laugh::( ........But I do understand your feelings about feeding and your dogs behaving like they are still hungry.

We have a ridgy and a kelpie - the kelpie eats about 1/4 to 1/3 of what the ridgy has. She has had to lose some weight recently, and it has been hard. When I make up their meals the ridgys dinner looks enough to feed a small army while the kelpie seems to be on a super-models diet ;) . At first I wondered how on earth a dog could survive on such a small amount of food...But she did and does. She is looking great now, and is alot more fit. She gets a chicken wing for breakfast (compared to the ridgys dry and meat of about 300gm) and about 150gms food for her tea (ridgy gets closer to 500gm)! I have come to realise the kelpie doesnt need that much food, the ridgy does. There are all sorts of reasons why - temperament, coat, exercise etc., but it works. My last kelpie ate like there was no tomorrow and never put on weight.

Keep up the good work with him - you will have a healthier dog for longer! ;)

Rat