Sucking Their Tongues While They Sleep

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

I randomly went to check to see how many adult teeth Badger has now, at four months and one week old, and he was sucking his tongue. The tip was poking through his teeth, very cute but just wondering why dogs do this?

Is it a puppy thing?

I've seen Ivy do it a few times but she isn't as chilled as Badg so wakes up when I go near her, Badger couldn't care less.

Just because, he has two front teeth nearly all the way out and five bottom teeth which have come through really quickly. A lot quicker than the top!

Yes - it's normal. It's memory of suckling on mum :(.

My boy used to do this a lot - most sleeps - in his early days. He's 2yo now and still does this occasionally, although he "oofs" and runs more than "suckles" these days. He's gwowing up :cry:.

I don't think it is pointless at all BB. When I saw the topic title I actually said to OH oooh theres a topic on the dogs sucking their tongues. :cry:

Mine do it too. Very cute... especially when they end up sleeping with their tongues poking out.

Edited by corrie

I don't think it is pointless at all BB. When I saw the topic title I actually said to OH oooh theres a topic on the dogs sucking their tongues. :cry:

Mine do it too. Very cute... especially when they end up sleeping with their tongues poking out.

My 5yr old GR does it too :(

awww... Emmy does this.

Especially when she wakes up from a deep sleep and realise that she hasn't had enough sleep... she will flop back on the couch and so the suckling noises to go back to sleep.