Preparing For Pup On His Way

Shiba pup on his way

Hi All,

I posted a welcome message over in the newbies corner but thought i'd post here too for more advice.

After much researching we put a deposit down on a boy Shiba pup from snowstars in orange, litter was born last monday 14th. I am exicted to have a little guy keep me company in the new job i just secured which is more of a work from home role for a UK parent company.

So I have a few questions that would be great if someone can help me answer.

1. How much is it usually to get a puppy male desexed? What earliest age is best/reccomended?

2. I plan getting a crate for crate training, food, treats, bowls, toys etc – Anything else? PS – is this a stupid type of crate to get?

3. Is there a Shiba owners group in Sydney?

4. Whats the best way to introduce the new fella to our home (we only live in a small 2story terrace with a small backyard).

Any adivce much appreciated. Starting to get very excited counting down the weeks. Un-named boy in sig below

Kind Regards

Edited by Shiba pup on his way

Why don't you discuss the sterilization issue with the breeder??? I would assume that THEY would be the best ones to ask and as to price, ring around and check what prices different vets charge and ask you breeder if she has a vet that she recommends!

Just make crate training fun for your new pup and NEVER use it as a punishment. But you can use it as a time out, but give them a pigs ear or something similiar to chew on

Good luck, but truly the best person to ask your questions of should be your breeder!!!!

i replied in first 3 questions in your welcome post.

4. Whats the best way to introduce the new fella to our home (we only live in a small 2story terrace with a small backyard).

Don't fuss over him and give him space while he explore his new surroundings. Just keep an eye on him without smothering him. He will probably be nervous and scared, so just be calm, relaxed and happy, so he picks up on your energy and realise that it's going to be ok. It can take them a few days for them to feel comfortable.

what a cute baby!

1. How much is it usually to get a puppy male desexed? What earliest age is best/reccomended?

Prices can really vary depending on the vet. It all depends on location of the vet, whether they do pre anaesthetic testing and the dogs are given fluids adn whetherb the dog is kept overnight etc. Some shelters do it at 8 weeks before pups go. For large breed dogs many people here like to wait until their pup has fully matured (around 18 months 2 years). Vets commonly recommend 6 months (doesn't mean that is best though). Perhaps speak with your breeder and ask what they would recommend.

2. I plan getting a crate for crate training, food, treats, bowls, toys etc – Anything else? PS – is this a stupid type of crate to get?

I prefer the more solid wire crates, but I do have a labrador, so the soft one probably wouldn't last very long :mad

The advantage to the soft ones are that they are more easily moved from room to room which is important in the initial stages of crate training. Also easy to put in the car and at shows etc.

3. Is there a Shiba owners group in Sydney?

I'm sorry I have no idea, perhaps go into the spitz forum and ask there. I did a quick google search and found this site: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=60164992776 for the NSW shiba inu club.

I would initially restrict to one or two rooms. Then when the pup is more confident (and more toilet trained) you can introduce them to more areas of the house. It is also good to keep the crate in a busy room initially, so the pup doesn't feel lonely in the crate. If you intend to ever leave the pup alone, it is a good idea to start getting them used to this early otherwise risk seperation anxiety. Start with 10-15 minutes in a seperate room and then build up to leaving the pup for 30mins-1hr while you're out shopping.

good luck with your new baby!

Edited by aussielover

thankyou all for the replys. i will follow everything up with the breeder.

Im off to the US for work training and then when im back it shouldnt long till we get to pick up and meet the little guy. Our front runner name for him is Bear. As in bear grylls :laugh:. Not very japanese i know...... still toying with names.

Don't fuss over him and give him space while he explore his new surroundings. Just keep an eye on him without smothering him. He will probably be nervous and scared,
Or not.... Wylie bounced out out of his crate and never looked back. But he is a brat. :thumbsup:
Not very japanese i know...... still toying with names.
I promise there will be times when you call him lots of things that dont sound very Japanese, or polite in public.....

Be warned, you try to do the right thing, you research, you learn and then just when you think its all going well.... you get another shiba!

Edited by cannibalgoldfish