Amstaff Breeders

geo

The Amstaff standard clearly states that dogs must have black pigment. Blue's do not have black pigment, no matter which way you try to argue it. If they breed a blue with black pigment, then good on them!

The Amstaff standard clearly states that dogs must have black pigment. Blue's do not have black pigment, no matter which way you try to argue it. If they breed a blue with black pigment, then good on them!

From the extended breed standard

"Nose “definitely black”: Before AKC registration, there were registered American Pit

Bull Terriers with red noses. These dogs came from different root stock and had a

different appearance- including liver colouration. The intention here was to prevent

them from entering the AKC breeding pool of American Staffordshire Terriers. The

nose should be black - not red or pink. We now know that it is genetically impossible

for a blue dog to have a black nose, yet there were blue Am Staffs then, as now, and

they were shown and finished championships. The nose should appear darkest charcoal

on dogs with blue diluted colouration. Forgiveness can be made for dark charcoal on

this colour, but the darker the better. The nose should still appear as black to the

observer. A dudley nose (flesh coloured) is listed as a fault. For dogs without dilute

colouration the nose must appear as written - definitely black."

Amstaff breeders and SBT breeders both need to distance themselves from pitbull breeders. But especially the amstaff breeders given the recent court ruling in QLD.

it's not about the pitbull breeders , it's about a few amstaff breeders doing the wrong thing and attracting bad publicity then having them blame pitbull owners for the trouble caused by people from within.

What are amstaff breeders or AKNC as a collective whole going to do about these breeders that are AKNC registered breeding dogs way over standard and selling them on the hype that they're tough. Amstaff numbers far outweigh that of the apbt, it would be great if they could all be kept safe.

Supply and Demand.

If people want big dogs that aren't quick and agile, that is up to them. It isn't illegal to promote a certain ''look''.

The 'bully' look is common in the USA, sure, it isn't a true representation of the breed, but a representation nonetheless....

Amstaff breeders and SBT breeders both need to distance themselves from pitbull breeders. But especially the amstaff breeders given the recent court ruling in QLD.

it's not about the pitbull breeders , it's about a few amstaff breeders doing the wrong thing and attracting bad publicity then having them blame pitbull owners for the trouble caused by people from within.

What are amstaff breeders or AKNC as a collective whole going to do about these breeders that are AKNC registered breeding dogs way over standard and selling them on the hype that they're tough. Amstaff numbers far outweigh that of the apbt, it would be great if they could all be kept safe.

In my opinion a separate organisation of responsible and ethical ANKC breeders breeds to form for the sole purpose of protecting the amstaff and its image. Not so much doing things about other less ethical breeders, but making sure that the dogs that they are producing will not be legislated against and that their own conduct is beyond reproach.

You can't change what some dog breeders are doing. You can dissociate yourself from them. You can choose to do things better yourself and not make their mistakes.

Pitbulls are illegal for various (logical and illogical) reasons. Somebody needs to show that not only are amstaffs not pitbulls, but they need to show how and why that difference means that their dogs are no threat to the community.

Bit hard to do when registered breeders are marketing their dogs as something the community should feel threatened by and breeding dogs to met the expectations of buyers that want a scary dog. :love:

Exact same thing that's happening right now in the U.S. People breeding for size and image, people will always like that style of dog, then there is the other side who prefer there real APBT's.

As long as people dont start thinking and calling them american pitbulls i dont have an issue.

:love: yeah right. I wonder what all of the Amercian Pit Bull owners have their dogs registered and chipped as ? certainly not APBT

Gotta agree with SBT123 here.

APBT people harp on that their dogs are the real deal; fair enough, they are the shall we say not-watered-down version of the AST.

They're entitled to that opinion. It's not hurting anyone. But if you go out and get an APBT, and want to tell people it's an APBT, and want to snort in derision at AST owners, telling them their dog isn't the "real deal"...then register your APBT as an APBT, and comply with the legislation.

When APBT owners register their dogs as ASTs, we see what we see now. People with poorly bred APBTs, registering them as ASTs, and if something happens...suddenly the AST is to blame.

Much as I hate to say it, and I don't necessarily think it's the right thing to do for the APBT's sake, if AST breeders (we're talking reputable breeders breeding to the standard, not registered breeders pumping out dogs which come perilously close to being ABs) want to save their own breed, they DO need to distance themselves from the APBT people. And I wouldn't blame SBT people if they started distancing themselves from AST people.

Maybe it sounds harsh or breedist but it's the facts. Put it this way - if you lived in an apartment building and it went up in flames, you'd sure as hell be saving your immediate family first before you even considered trying to rescue anyone else.

Greytmate is right. You can't change what others are doing, you can only do the best thing by your dogs and your breed, and get out there and show why your breed is not a threat.

In my opinion a separate organisation of responsible and ethical ANKC breeders breeds to form for the sole purpose of protecting the amstaff and its image. Not so much doing things about other less ethical breeders, but making sure that the dogs that they are producing will not be legislated against and that their own conduct is beyond reproach.

You can't change what some dog breeders are doing. You can dissociate yourself from them. You can choose to do things better yourself and not make their mistakes.

Pitbulls are illegal for various (logical and illogical) reasons. Somebody needs to show that not only are amstaffs not pitbulls, but they need to show how and why that difference means that their dogs are no threat to the community.

Bit hard to do when registered breeders are marketing their dogs as something the community should feel threatened by and breeding dogs to met the expectations of buyers that want a scary dog. :D

I mostly agree, i saw an amstaff the other day, but the owner was only too happy to say well basically it's a pitbull..? do you think many amsatff owners want one because of the their past links to the pitbull because this bloke certainly wasn't the first person i've heard this from, and it's a bogans way of saying if he gets in trouble "well he's not a pitbull so there"

Your right about the good breeders distancing themselves from the bad, but shouldn't this sort of control come from government authorities and not socially run organistaions. Licensing to ensure breeders aren't doing the wrong thing etc.. Then there wouldn't be any need for any bans on any breed, think of it this way, there is only one breeder of Oenpelli pythons in the NT(maybe australia) no-one else is allowed a license, don't know why because they're hardly in massive numbers, they're regulated, why can we have the same system for any of the breeds on the restricted list?

Granted they have a whole lot of work to do before getting around to the BSL issues whilst they still allow pet stores to sell dogs, what a disgrace this country is when it come to these issues, the UK banned it years ago, and so too did the US i think so why can't we?!

Exact same thing that's happening right now in the U.S. People breeding for size and image, people will always like that style of dog, then there is the other side who prefer there real APBT's.

As long as people dont start thinking and calling them american pitbulls i dont have an issue.

:D yeah right. I wonder what all of the Amercian Pit Bull owners have their dogs registered and chipped as ? certainly not APBT

Gotta agree with SBT123 here.

APBT people harp on that their dogs are the real deal; fair enough, they are the shall we say not-watered-down version of the AST.

They're entitled to that opinion. It's not hurting anyone. But if you go out and get an APBT, and want to tell people it's an APBT, and want to snort in derision at AST owners, telling them their dog isn't the "real deal"...then register your APBT as an APBT, and comply with the legislation.

When APBT owners register their dogs as ASTs, we see what we see now. People with poorly bred APBTs, registering them as ASTs, and if something happens...suddenly the AST is to blame.

Much as I hate to say it, and I don't necessarily think it's the right thing to do for the APBT's sake, if AST breeders (we're talking reputable breeders breeding to the standard, not registered breeders pumping out dogs which come perilously close to being ABs) want to save their own breed, they DO need to distance themselves from the APBT people. And I wouldn't blame SBT people if they started distancing themselves from AST people.

Maybe it sounds harsh or breedist but it's the facts. Put it this way - if you lived in an apartment building and it went up in flames, you'd sure as hell be saving your immediate family first before you even considered trying to rescue anyone else.

Greytmate is right. You can't change what others are doing, you can only do the best thing by your dogs and your breed, and get out there and show why your breed is not a threat.

Excellent post