Omega 3 Supplement

Anyone used a spot on treatment called essential 6 (or maybe 3??) ?

Im trialling it on mindy, but only did it yesterday so no results yet.

I have read about this product, has some great success. I will be very interested to hear how you go with it. Where did you purchase it from?

I used Dr Bruce's All Natural Omega Blend. I just put a glug (nice term oakway! :D ) on my beagles food. I started putting it on her food when she was really itchy. I'm going to continue through winter and hope we come out in summer with no itching as she'll be older then.

Someone also complimented how good the condition of her coat is on the weekend. I also mix in fish with her food a few days a week.

I used Dr Bruce's All Natural Omega Blend. I just put a glug (nice term oakway! :) ) on my beagles food.

I use this one as well but have also used Melrose Flaxseed Oil from the health food shops.

• 1 month later...

We use Grapeseed oil, Chia Seed soaked + Evening Primose Oil for itchy dog.

Some information on why I decided to go with these items after trying to standard fish oils etc. without any success: (They work for us but maybe not for you).

Grapeseed Oil

Grape seeds contain antioxiants, which protect the body from a number of health problems caused by the free radicals. Besides, this oil is rich in Vit E, flavonoids, Vit C and beta-carotene. Effective in reducing the symptoms associated with allergies and asthma, as it suppresses the production of histamine (an amine released by the immune system during allergic reactions). Grape seed oil contain linoleic acid, an polyunsaturated fatty acid, which is an essential component of the cell membrane. It provides nourishment to the skin and aids in skin repair. No serious problems reported for use in dogs so far i.e. problems with dogs eating grapes.

Chia Seed made into a Gel

Chia is the highest plant based source of Omega 3, dietary fibre and protein. Favorable Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio (3:1) - Currently, most foods found in supermarkets today have ratios of 1:15-30 which increases the risk of inflammation. Promotes regular gut function. Chia is an ancient superfood that is very similar to flax, but without the estrogen and phytoestrogen element.

EPO

EFAs have been found to help with allergy-based skin problems, limiting the degree of itching and scratching. Secondary conditions such as dermatitis, seborrhoea and skin infections also appear to benefit. In addition EFAs can be used as supportive treatment for a variety of other common conditions. These include heart disease, arthritis, cancer, immune system problems and kidney disease.

Edited by sas

I know someone who did, the dog reacted to it.

I use performa S for my dogs. It is marketed as a supplement for horses but is great for dogs as well. Being for horses you get it in big lots (5L +) but is much cheaper and you could share it with someone else.

I have read about this product, has some great success. I will be very interested to hear how you go with it. Where did you purchase it from?

I have just finished a course of this.

It was very good, made her coat all shiny and stopped the dandruff.

It has a distinct smell, which is not fishy thank goodness, it is rather nice but it is pretty strong.

I got mine from where i work (at a vet).

I'm starting Mindy on sardines once a week now though, will see how she goes, the product is very expensive, so want to see how she goes without it.

I also got a smaple of those paws and claws capsules. She didn't like them much though.

We use Grapeseed oil, Chia Seed soaked + Evening Primose Oil for itchy dog.

Some information on why I decided to go with these items after trying to standard fish oils etc. without any success: (They work for us but maybe not for you).

Grapeseed Oil

Grape seeds contain antioxiants, which protect the body from a number of health problems caused by the free radicals. Besides, this oil is rich in Vit E, flavonoids, Vit C and beta-carotene. Effective in reducing the symptoms associated with allergies and asthma, as it suppresses the production of histamine (an amine released by the immune system during allergic reactions). Grape seed oil contain linoleic acid, an polyunsaturated fatty acid, which is an essential component of the cell membrane. It provides nourishment to the skin and aids in skin repair. No serious problems reported for use in dogs so far i.e. problems with dogs eating grapes.

Chia Seed made into a Gel

Chia is the highest plant based source of Omega 3, dietary fibre and protein. Favorable Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio (3:1) - Currently, most foods found in supermarkets today have ratios of 1:15-30 which increases the risk of inflammation. Promotes regular gut function. Chia is an ancient superfood that is very similar to flax, but without the estrogen and phytoestrogen element.

EPO

EFAs have been found to help with allergy-based skin problems, limiting the degree of itching and scratching. Secondary conditions such as dermatitis, seborrhoea and skin infections also appear to benefit. In addition EFAs can be used as supportive treatment for a variety of other common conditions. These include heart disease, arthritis, cancer, immune system problems and kidney disease.

Hi Sas,

Do you buy these things separately and add them to food? If so what ratio do you use? I would be very interested in trying this with one of my Cresteds as she seems to itch alot and all the other things I've tried haven't made too much difference.

Cheers

Bec

Hi Sas,

Do you buy these things separately and add them to food? If so what ratio do you use? I would be very interested in trying this with one of my Cresteds as she seems to itch alot and all the other things I've tried haven't made too much difference.

Cheers

Bec

I have a giant dog so I'm affraid I'm only familiar with that dossage is but it wouldn't be hard to find oout the info for smaller dogs, there's a bit of info out there now, just a matter of finding it - I do start everything at a low dose and then work up - alot of allergic dogs are sensitive in their guts so you don't want to just bombard them.

EPO - starting at 2 capsuals and then working up to around 6 over time - Derms are currently using higher doses of EPO now in combination of using omega's.

Chia - 1 Desert spoon of the gel.

Grapeseed - 1 Desert spoon of the oil.

it's not going to stop them itching if they are a standard allergic dog, however this preparation is the one that sits best for my dog as we have tried a number of other supplements.

Edited by sas