Breeding Age Of Female

jazzie

Hi guys,

Just wanting to know is there an age limit on when the bitch is mated to if you are allowed to regiser a litter or does it go on the age of when she whelps the pups?

The reason why i am asking is i know someone that is a registered breeder and she thinks tht the male has got to the bitch and she is only 11 months old. It seem to young to me. If she is in whelp is she going to be able to register the litter?

Thanks for you time

I have Labs, and they must be 12 months old. Different breeds are different ages.

One of my bitches was deliberately mated at 11 months old when she was with her previous owner, so that she whelped at the "acceptable" 13 months. Anyone doing things ethically would not breed their bitch at this age though.

Most dogs wouldn't be finished growing, and would be too immature to be good mothers, or know what they are doing.

If this person is a registered breeder, I would find it unlikely that the mating was an "accident". The bitch isn't fertile the first day of her cycle, you have plenty of time to notice and separate the dogs.

Thanks for your reply.

The breed is a collie(rough) she aparently didnt notice her due to her not being a big bleeder and with all the hair and due to the bad weather :love:. She was a registered breeder of Golden retrivers for many years and has now changed breeds.

I havnt spoken to her since she told me she thought she was in welp so i have no idea what she plans to do if she is. I wanted to know mself if they had an age on when the pups could be registered.

If this person is a registered breeder, I would find it unlikely that the mating was an "accident". The bitch isn't fertile the first day of her cycle, you have plenty of time to notice and separate the dogs.

This isn't necessarily fair to registered breeders. Many people have "oops" litters for various reasons no matter how much care they take. Bitches can have silent seasons, especially young ones. Coated breeds may cover it well, especially if they aren't house dogs. And some bitches keep themselves very clean as well.

And then you have the bitches which escape from wherever they have been isolated, or dogs which manage to bust into wherever a bitch may have been isolated.

But the answer to the question is that the age for most breeds, with the exception of toy breeds is 12 months and that is the age of whelping, not the age of mating.

I have Labs, and they must be 12 months old. Different breeds are different ages.

One of my bitches was deliberately mated at 11 months old when she was with her previous owner, so that she whelped at the "acceptable" 13 months. Anyone doing things ethically would not breed their bitch at this age though.

Yep had that happen to a pup I sold.....I was shocked and didnt think they'd be able to register the pups. But they did as the pups were born after the bitch turned 12 months old.

:)

I have had an accidental litter, and an accidental mating. The mating I heard happen, and took care of, as the bitch was too young. But the litter (of 1) was a TOTAL surprise. Did not know until the morning the puppy was on the bed waiting for me. In that case the bitch was too old to be having a litter, and she didnt want the little mite, so my mum hand raised her and she lives with my uncle.

But of course the two bitches I WANT to mate, wont fall. Sometimes you can just have shitty luck :o

Edited by Rysup