Help - Staffy With Skin Issues

post-27559-1277780164_thumb.jpg

I need some advice, if anyone could help it would be great.

My uncles 2yr old staffy has broken out in hive like things all over his sides and back.

He hasn't been in contact with anything out of the ordinary.

I would think it looks like a contact allergy. But htey have put him on boiled chicken and rice just incase.

He went to the vet yesterday, they have given him a steriod shot and antehistamine (sp?), but last night woke up crying again and in pain.

He is a little lethargic, but i would assume that is caused by the antehistamine.

ANy one out there in DOL Land have any idea what we can do to ease his pain.. or what might have caused this?

Poor little boy :)

grab a packet of Phenergen and give 1-2 a day until the hives go down and keep them handy. Obviously the dog is severely allergice to something. Could also be a spider/bee sting?? I get hives and I can tell you they hurt a lot, especially if you scratch them. place a cool well squeezed towl on them if he's very uncomfortable but move it every 20 or so seconds so it doesnt end up insulating more heat

Definitely looks like an allergic reaction to me.

Could he have come into contact with a castor oil plant in the backyard? Or another thought was that some years ago, one of my Staffords used to enjoy munching on wooden clothespegs and he came out in a rash not unlike that to look out....literally covering him from head to the tip of his tail. It turned out that the pegs were cheap imports from asia and had been treated.

Anti-histamines internally and bathing in baby shampoo did the trick but it took a few days.

And yes, the anti-histamines could slow him down, they are mostly designed to have a sedating effect to help lessen the urge to scratch but if the drowsiness becomes very pronounced get him back to the vet because he could be having a reaction to the drugs themselves.

Reminds me of this:

11Jun10005-1.jpg

This was a suspected bite - after the initial injection I used phenergen and cortisone to treat for a couple of days (there was a flare up as the injection wore off).

I'd contact your vet and seek further advice re additional medication and dosage.

Edited by Danois