Cavaliers And Periodontal Disease

bet hargreaves

Prefessor Larry Glickman ,North Carolina School of Medicine ,America, has recently had a Veterinary Paper Published about Gum Problems in Dogs.

The Paper suggested that Periodontal Disease was associated with Cardiovascular Related Conditions.

Could the Severe MVD Heart Problem in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels have a Link with their Periodontal Diseases where it is mentioned that about 50% of Cavaliers can have Gum Problems by Middle Age?

Should a Survey be being carried out to discover if there is a Link between their Periodontal Disease and their MVD Problem?

Bet Hargreaves

It is well known in this country - I presume by most experienced breeders and owners - of all breeds - that gum and tooth problems should be rectified, as they can lead to heart problems.

And that feeding a raw diet seems to prevent and/or help with heart problems.

CoEnzyme Q10 is also widely recommended for dogs with murmurs or other problems.

Most breeders would also assess the mouth health of bitches before putting them in pup.

So I think most breeders, on anecdotal evidence, would agree with Dr Glickman. Most of us advise purchasers of pet puppies to feed sufficient "hard" foods to help with tooth and gum health, and to check teeth and gums regularly.

I believe some Cavs have "bad" teeth, and have been trying to breed away from it. Too soon, and I haven't bred enough to know whether what I have done has been effective or even whether it does run in lines.