Troy Behave Paste

I'd certainly be giving it a go. If there is something that is part of your routine that causes her to whine, that's a good place to take baseline measurement of whining. Sound sensitivity is a little harder to measure, every time you take a measurement the dog becomes a little more habituated to the sound but you might be able to video tape her response to an "every day" sound which she would already be habituated to, such as dropping your car keys on the counter.

No problem. She spends the whole day, every so often, whining and doing her "attention yap" so we will either let her in the door - or out of the door. :o

She can open the sliding screen door and come in any time she wants - but DH taught her she can't do it without permission. So she doesn't. He is now regretting that. :o

I tired her out this morning before we went out etc. I just think she is a bit uncomfortable (she is being treated for arthritis) and a bit anxious.

As for the noise - well, all I have to do is go to the freezer. She hates the noise when we play around wiht the frozen stuff. She jumps up off her mat. vacates the room and watches from down the hall until we have finished, then comes back.. The fact her food is part of it seems to have little impact. :o

noisymina so did you want me to see about grab an extra bag. I also live on the southside of Brisbane :cry:

Both boys were started on their mix this morning .... how long before I can hope for better dogs :(:(

Thanks for the offer, Tilly. I will try the local Healthy Life store and see how it goes. If there is a problem, I will get back to you.

I have only tried the produce store and the on-line store - BOTH were out of stock, even tho they normally carry it.

The on-line store said the suppliers were out and they are looking at a TWO MONTH wait.

Not bad for a waste product. hey?

Good luck with your trial. :laugh:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should notice an immediate change, if there are any trials for any ANKC sport this weekend, enter and win!!!

I just want to be able to get the youngest boy out on to the lure coursing field without ending up bruised and battered ... in his excitement :o:o:(

We have found the 2 person collar lift and drag method is working ... but we are still getting the bruises :laugh:

Edited by Tilly

Second dose this morning ... no change yet :laugh:

Well mine have had three doses and a show today and so many people commented on their behaviour and how much calmer they were.

So something has made a difference, maybe taking the dogs out of the home environs and have others comment on them ?

J

I have just given Zoe her first dose this morning.... Im hoping I see something over the next few days. Just walking around looking for the cat she whines!

I saw some inprovement on Clomicalm (not on it anymore) but using something more natural seems more appealing..

I didn't give the youngest his dose this morning as he has the runs ... rather bad.

I think it might be the rolled oats (as he doesn't tolerate dry food - I think it is the grains) so I am giving him another lot of pumpkin tonight to see if the is any better this morning.

It will be about a week before my GG arrives,

But I decided to start changing her morning feed anyway in preparation - and as she does need a bit of extra food at the moment.

So Fri morning it was the egg, oats and her normal Sacha's blend and meds + a little dry kibble.

Sat I realise I DID have Olive oil in the cupboard and added that.

Then I managed to get the Brewer;s Yeast and some Calcium Ascorbate (came across info that it might help the incontinence thing)

And Sun she had the fuyll Monty except for the GG. :D

She seem happier already. Maybe she doesn't need GG? :)

But I decided to start changing her morning feed anyway in preparation - and as she does need a bit of extra food at the moment.

So Fri morning it was the egg, oats and her normal Sacha's blend and meds + a little dry kibble.

Then I managed to get the Brewer;s Yeast and some Calcium Ascorbate (came across info that it might help the incontinence thing)

And Sun she had the fuyll Monty except for the GG. :laugh:

She seem happier already. Maybe she doesn't need GG? :o

There is probably already quite a lot of tryptophan in her diet (especially the egg), she might just need the carbs to make use of what is already there.

And Sun she had the fuyll Monty except for the GG. :laugh:

She seem happier already. Maybe she doesn't need GG? :o

There is probably already quite a lot of tryptophan in her diet (especially the egg), she might just need the carbs to make use of what is already there.

Thank you! :hug:

I didn't give the youngest his dose this morning as he has the runs ... rather bad.

I think it might be the rolled oats (as he doesn't tolerate dry food - I think it is the grains) so I am giving him another lot of pumpkin tonight to see if the is any better this morning.

If you don't think he will get used to the change in diet and if he tolerates pumpkin quite well then you could use boiled, mushed pumpkin and potato instead of oats. The glycemic load of pumpkin on it's own probably won't be enough, but with a bit of extra carbohydrate from potato it might do the trick.

I'm very interested to hear reports from GSD owners. So far it seems to work well for GSDs, but that just could be my observational bias. It's feasible that some of the behasvioural traits selected in GSDs could unintentionally involve serotonin.

What has been coming out of him last night was just liquid (poor baby was crying for an urgent toilet break at about 1am) ... he has been given chicken and pumpkin yesterday and today and it is starting to be a very soft pudding. Hoping he will be back to normal tomorrow. Once he is back to normal I will give him a couple of days and then add the extra vege's ... then slowly introduce the Gold as Gold - he has brewer yeast, eggs and olive oil in his diet normally.

How much potato and pumpkin should I give him?

About the same amount, start off with just a little potato just in case, build it up over a few days. I'd like to see his stomach settle first. He might even respond to just the addition of the tryptophan, the addition of carbs is a "belt and braces" approach, covering all bases. Exercise and natural sunlight are important too, there are a number of factors.

About the same amount, start off with just a little potato just in case, build it up over a few days. I'd like to see his stomach settle first. He might even respond to just the addition of the tryptophan, the addition of carbs is a "belt and braces" approach, covering all bases. Exercise and natural sunlight are important too, there are a number of factors.

Are there two Aidans here, one in Qld one in Tas?

Anyhow my GSD had her 2nd batch this morning and she seemed less anxious when I got home... usually she sooks but she just grabbed a chew and amused herself.. When hubby got home and we put our shoes on for a walk (prob worst whining time) she made one noise then laid down till we were done!!!! That was not like her at all.. anyway I hope the good results continue......

Thanks again Aidan (aidan2?)

Edited by charli73

Are there two Aidans here, one in Qld one in Tas?

No, long story, demonstrates my incompetence so I'm keeping it a secret :laugh: I've fixed my location, wasn't so hard after all.

When hubby got home and we put our shoes on for a walk (prob worst whining time) she made one noise then laid down till we were done!!!!

That's exactly the sort of thing we need to measure. If it appears to be happening greater than chance you know you're on the right track and supplementation hasn't been in vein. If this keeps up for a couple of weeks you're probably on a winner in the long term.

Can you explain Aiden

Why the Troy behave paste has worked for my dogs? Is this the same principle as your mix with oates?

J

Yes, almost exactly the same. The Troy product has a very high dose of one of the B Vitamins, which has been shown to have therapeutic benefit on it's own and may be a useful adjunct.

Proteins are made up of amino acids. The percentage of each amino in a protein varies. The brain can only use so many of these aminos at any one time, and some of the larger aminos take preference, I suppose you could say the bully their way through. By raising insulin you effectively increase the % of tryptophan by sending the larger aminos away to build muscle, repair organs, make fat and all the other things that happen when you raise insulin.

What happens when you supplement with tryptophan is that you increase the % of tryptophan shortly after it is digested. If the dogs are being exercised and have good access to natural sunlight and aren't being kept awake unnaturally then the tryptophan gets used in the brain (actually it gets converted to something else first, but I'm keeping it very simple). In short, there is more than one road to Rome.

However, tryptophan isn't the only amino that gets taken up in the process when you raise insulin, and it isn't the only amino that is a precursor for important neurotransmitters either. So my theory is that by raising insulin, just a little, for a short period of time, in a well exercised dog who is getting natural sunlight and sleeping in rhythm with the cycles of the planet that they evolved upon - you give the brain (and the rest of the body) a shot at getting everything it needs to function properly for the rest of the day.

So it's not always necessary to raise insulin through carbs, but it can be helpful, and a % of dogs (unknown, not studied) do benefit from it. So when I make the recommendation, I use the recipe which I have the most experience with. Hopefully, one day, I will finish my degree and someone will throw a few bucks my way and I'll be able to find out some more of the parameters. At this stage I'm only working with slightly more information than a charlatan... so I'm cautious.

Do dogs need carbs? No. Did dogs evolve eating carbs and might this have had some bearing on selective breeding? It would be hard to argue otherwise, although many have their opinions. I prefer to let the dog decide. Both of mine respond very differently to carbs in their diets.

Can you explain Aiden

Why the Troy behave paste has worked for my dogs? Is this the same principle as your mix with oates?

J

Yes, almost exactly the same. The Troy product has a very high dose of one of the B Vitamins, which has been shown to have therapeutic benefit on it's own and may be a useful adjunct.

Proteins are made up of amino acids. The percentage of each amino in a protein varies. The brain can only use so many of these aminos at any one time, and some of the larger aminos take preference, I suppose you could say the bully their way through. By raising insulin you effectively increase the % of tryptophan by sending the larger aminos away to build muscle, repair organs, make fat and all the other things that happen when you raise insulin.

What happens when you supplement with tryptophan is that you increase the % of tryptophan shortly after it is digested. If the dogs are being exercised and have good access to natural sunlight and aren't being kept awake unnaturally then the tryptophan gets used in the brain (actually it gets converted to something else first, but I'm keeping it very simple). In short, there is more than one road to Rome.

However, tryptophan isn't the only amino that gets taken up in the process when you raise insulin, and it isn't the only amino that is a precursor for important neurotransmitters either. So my theory is that by raising insulin, just a little, for a short period of time, in a well exercised dog who is getting natural sunlight and sleeping in rhythm with the cycles of the planet that they evolved upon - you give the brain (and the rest of the body) a shot at getting everything it needs to function properly for the rest of the day.

So it's not always necessary to raise insulin through carbs, but it can be helpful, and a % of dogs (unknown, not studied) do benefit from it. So when I make the recommendation, I use the recipe which I have the most experience with. Hopefully, one day, I will finish my degree and someone will throw a few bucks my way and I'll be able to find out some more of the parameters. At this stage I'm only working with slightly more information than a charlatan... so I'm cautious.

Do dogs need carbs? No. Did dogs evolve eating carbs and might this have had some bearing on selective breeding? It would be hard to argue otherwise, although many have their opinions. I prefer to let the dog decide. Both of mine respond very differently to carbs in their diets.

Thank you Aiden, I may have missed the post , but are you doing a Degree with reference to Animal Nutrition? Your writings are very informative and very interesting ( although I have to read them a few times!)

Thanks for the info

J