Toilet Training Accidents

aussielover

Mindy has been reasonably good with toilet training, but we have had a few accidents, due to my inattention to her.

When these happen, I usually just clean up the mess without comment.

She hasn't had an accident for a while now, but will probably have one every 3-4 days.

She doesn't seem to get that it is desirable to go outside, despite us only rewarding her if she goes in the "toilet corner".

She toilets on command which is useful and perhaps why she doesn't have accidents when we are at work. I am more vigilant there because I would be very embarassed if she were to pee at work! I think part of the problem is that I am a bit slack at home, we have tiles, so an accident is not really the end of the world. Also, my family are not reliable with toileting her and she seems to have more accidents if one of them is in charge of her.

She is crate trained and does not have accidents overnight.

I was just wondering:

1. When, if ever, will she realise that outside (ie. grass) is the appropriate place to toilet?

2. When she does have an accident, will saying "no" or taking her outside to the toilet place speed up the toilet training process?

I know it will happen quicker if we crate her whenever we can't watch her, but we do like having her with us most of the time as she is so lovely :rofl: Our house is open plan though, so if if take you eye off her for even one minute, she really could be anywhere! I would like to be able to let her have free run of the house (downstairs) without having to worry she will be peeing somewhere!

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated :laugh: