Rottweiler Bob Tail Gene

We had a litter of Rott's bought into work by a BYB only a few hours after they were born & out of the 10 puppies I think 6 of them were bobtails, there was no way they had been docked, the owner was worried we would think they had been that's why he bought them in, we nursed them all day, he took them home & they all died due to very poor management.

This was only a month or so ago, so they are sure out there.

I thought it was also linked to spina bifida?

Flaves, I was always under the same impression. My personal opinion is that as the tail is an extension of the vertebre that it would be a spinal malformation that caused it.....could be wrong, probably am, but I, like Rakaaz, will never introduce it into my breeding. A Rottweiler is soooooooooooooo much more than its tail.

Shmoo, my I ask why you are considering a NBT rather than a tailed rottweiler? From what I am hearing around the place if you are intending to show it, under a specialty judge in the next few years you more than likely wont be considered for a CC . Yes you may get a Ch title in AB's (a lot of judges cannot judge a tail because of the incorrect tail set outlined in the breed standard publicised by the ANKC, even though thtye have been told to change it and it was brought up at the AGM :D ) as they cannot see past the bloody tail!

My advise to you, buy a tailed rottweiler by a COE member of a Rottweiler Club and make sure both sire and dam comply with the state club's breeding criteria (ie. hip dysplasia, eye and mouth certification and that both parents are of breeding age). You will find some excellent breeder here in the Rottie Thread (some of the most experienced have even posted before me :) - speak to them, they may even have litters comming up).

Edited by TrinaJ

Hi

I would like to know why the Bob tailed rottie lines are not more common now , I recall reading somwhere many years ago that the bob tail gene was often found to also link to entropin in the breed but as to its factuality I could not say.

My question is because we are starting to consider adding to our family of furies and would consider looking out for a bob tail if it has the required confirmation and temp

thanks

I have heard that the line also came with very bad temperament and has therefore been bred out.... but I did only hear this on the grapevine, so it may be off the truth, but it does make sense, that possibly this is why the gene has been lost

Hi Trina J

Its not that I have a preference for no tail over tail , but I did want to know why the bob tails are not more common than they are at the moment.

We always buy our rotties from good breeders, sadly is not always a perfect world and the girl I have at the moment we had to desex due to a heart condition and her confirmation makes me cry when I think of the time bomb the poor girl is carrying around underneath.

(she has a fantastic tail moves like a dream with a top line to die for )

It is more a question that if I find a pup I like without a tail should I be on the watch for health probs that may also show more often when the pup has a genetic bob tail , in reading I have seen everything from entropin to temp issues linked and was wondering how true it is after all the story 15 years ago was dont buy a rottie or a GSD as they ALL have HD and we all know that was a load of bull dust.

We just want our next baby to be healthy with a long life ( and it would be nice to have something we can show again mad as I am I miss it :confused: