Bcc Dog Tags - How To Remove?

Outkast1972

Hello all

I have bought my dogs new collars. Their Brisbane City Council plastic dog tags are still on the old ones. I have no idea how to remove the tags! Can anyone tell me if they can be removed and placed on a new collar? And if yes, how to do it!

Thanks!

Conway

They can't be opened. I put them on small rings, in case I have to transfer them to other collars. If you call the council, they may issue you with new ones.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling they were not removable. Seems like a silly way of doing it. What was wrong with the old metal dog tags? I'll give the council a call. I hope they don't charge me for new ones!

I imagine people with large dogs could go thru several dog tags as there puppies grow!?

Hello all

I have bought my dogs new collars. Their Brisbane City Council plastic dog tags are still on the old ones. I have no idea how to remove the tags! Can anyone tell me if they can be removed and placed on a new collar? And if yes, how to do it!

Thanks!

Conway

If you can cut through the metal D-ring on the collar, you can then put the tag on a keyring type of ring and pop it on the new collar.

I learnt this the hard way, too :D

I know that with our Council, if you need a new tag they will re-issue at no charge.

Not sure how long that will last for here in Victoria, however, as our new laws, unless blocked at Upper House come 27th of this month, will mean that your dog MUST be wearing its tag (no good if you happen to have it in your pocket) even if your dog is on lead. So you will need to have a tag for any and all of the collars (training and otherwise) you might use on your dog.

But unless the system changes, the Council won't be able to merely issue you with (say) 3 tags, no two tags have the same numbers. And if the system did change to accommodate, I expect they'll place a cost on that as well.

Of course, this won't be a problem if your dog is registered with VicDogs and you've run him or her around the show ring at least once in the year. Somehow, that makes it all good.

Edited by Erny

I always put council rego tags on a split ring so that they can be moved from collar to collar. Our dogs have house collars, going out collars and safety collars so switching tags is a necessary evil. BUT I only leave the greyhound with a house collar on - the other two go bare-necked as I'm too scared to leave collars on when we aren't home to supervise.

ETA - you can of course just slip the tag OVER the collar from one end...so that it goes around the whole strap of the collar if you follow. Just have to be careful of it falling off when you remove the collar.

Edited by lillysmum

Hello all

Thanks!

Conway

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to engrave their id no on their tags as well - just had to be identifiable as the BCC number.

I've done it a few times. Mug of boiling water and a pair of pliers. Let the tag soak for a few minutes until the plastic softens and them use the pliers to twist the end of the tag and it should come apart easy. Bonus wash for the tag in the process!

Hello all

Thanks!

Conway