He Will Defend You With His Life

moosmum

World War 2 in Brittain saw citizens having their dogs PT in mass numbers "to help with the war effort" in conserving valuable resources in those difficult times.

Thousands of dogs a day at times were being put down This would have continued unabated but for a letter published in a a major Brittish paper at the time which virtualy halted the practice overnight.

I read this entire letter about 20 to 30 years ago in a book and would very much like to see it resurected.

It would be an invaluable tool even today for anyone concerned with any aspect of dog welfare or even bred specific legislation.

It would be a great letter to have at the entrance to any Pound where people surrender their dogs. It was a powerful and emotional plea on behalf of dogs and some one,some where must have some idea how this letter can be found.

Being so long ago,I can't remember the author,but some details may help.

It was a male who lived in a rougher area of London during the war years,and sounds like a man well able to handle himself.The book was predominantly this mans life experiences and dogs featured heavily,often having their own sections.

He was an asscociate of Jack London and may have been one of those well known in anthropological circles such as Konrad Lorenz,Desmond Morris,Niko Tinbergen and Arthur Koestler.

I have an idea this author had a more European sounding name,I remember thinking he may have had a hard time in Brittain war time due to his name.

I think he mentioned his dog being a Bull Terrier,possibly named Jock (who chased some rough thugs he was having trouble down stairs and away from his appartment)

This is all very vague but I think this is a valuable,historical document that should be found.

This quote is attributed to an unknown author " He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog.You are his life,his love,his leader.He will be faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

I am fairly certain this is a small part of the letter I am seeking and the author is actualy a very well known identity,mentioned by name in this book.

It would be great if this letter can be found in its entirity once again.

edited for spelling,but not well!

Edited by moosmum

I am on an english breed forum may i please cross post and perhaps someone will be able to help there?

Yes please. Arthur Koestlers name sounds right,but I can't find reference in his book list that sounds right.

Edited by moosmum

The author of the book was not the author of the letter to the paper.

He did tell the story of how it came to be written,re print it in its entirety, and name the writer.

It could be one of Koestlers books but if so i'm at a loss as to which one.