Whal Blade Size Help Please

I have Whal clippers and it was suggested I use blade sizes 5f and 3f to clip the Westies.

The Whal blades I have are No 3 (10mm), No 2, & No 1, as well as unknown brand blades..9 mm, ,7 mm 6 mm,3 mm

What does the 'f' mean and are the numbers just the sizes (ie mm)

I was told, but I had better ask someone to jog my memory..

is this what is called a blade?---->

.......................................................... post-26505-1279070847_thumb.jpg

No, what you have shown here is a snap-on comb which adjust the length of hair cut when using single sized blades (does that make sense?), which makes me think you have a pair of clippers with a non-detachable clipper head.

The clipper blades themselves are the metal things that are attached to the end of the clippers. They are generally a #10 on most fixed head clippers.

When dealing with detachable clipper blades, the higher the number, the closer the cut. So a #40 blade will take the hair off more closely to the skin than a #15 and that will be shorter than either a #4f, #5f or #7f which are all blades that leave longer, more natural looking hair. The "f" means finishing and it creates a much smoother look.

The snap-on combs will generally leave approximately the same length hair as they state on the comb. ie 10mm hair length, 7mm etc.

Thanks for that Ellz,

I had asked our local hairdresser (yes, I know...should have asked the grooming people!) as I had called them combs when I asked her about the clippers not working very well, she said they were called blades (even tho' I DID say that they were plastic and were easy to change)

My Whal is just a economy model ($61 Ebay), so I will just use the combs for the cutting length, clipping the little fellas is really to neaten them up from the 'scruffy' to the 'ok-that'll-do,-you-look-much-better-now.

The woman I bought Daisy-the-Westie from used a 3f & 5f and her back was really nice (Daisy's back I mean :thumbsup: )

Thank you for clearing up the combs/blades query

My Wahl clippers have the 30-50-10 stamped on the blade

Edited by Boronia