Cherry Eye Removal

moko81

Hi All

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are of Cutting out the Cherry Eye or having it tucked/sewed back in?

I know a few people who have had cherry eyes tucked back in & within wks/mths it's popped out again.

I purchased a dog last year whom I found out after the fact had had a cherry eye completely cut out, breeder preferred

to do it this way. As he was young he didn't have an issue with dry eye (not to say he may not have it in the future)

Who knows the process of removing it do they need to be put under (never questioned the breeder on this)? & if it's only being tucked in & if it pops out again & surgery or process of tucking it back in needs to happen which means the dog needs to be put under again (if thats the case) how beneficial could that be to the dog being put under 1, 2 or 3 seperate times.

Really interested to know as we have just become carers to my bro inlaws dog who has a cherry eye which has been out for some time.

Have called a couple of vets most won't cut out but will only tuck in & quotes we were given were a few hundred $$$+ but largely depends on the severity of it.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

:p :shrug::o

Have had a few rescue dogs with cherry eye over the years and have always had it cut out... tacking (stitching it back in) often doesn't work long term...

Both ways require general anaesthesia as it is a painful procedure and no dog on the planet would allow someone to stick them right in their eye whilst awake or under light sedation.

Aftercare is always very important due to possibilities of infection and trauma.

Definitely tucked back in! Any cutting out means they are far more prone to Dryeye - tacking also puts holes in duct which again will more

than likely end up with Dryeye. The best way is that the vet makes a 'pocket' and tucks the duct in there. Yes it does cost a few hundred

but is worth it. If left out the eye will ulcerate and the dog could well end up losing the sight in that eye. Have had this done and have never

had it reappear

Have had a few rescue dogs with cherry eye over the years and have always had it cut out... tacking (stitching it back in) often doesn't work long term...

Both ways require general anaesthesia as it is a painful procedure and no dog on the planet would allow someone to stick them right in their eye whilst awake or under light sedation.

Aftercare is always very important due to possibilities of infection and trauma.

I guess that's why where leaning towards the cutting out. We can't risk him going under too many times if the tucking in doesn't work first time.

I've seen a few tucked in jobs & they have popped back out with in a mth or so & for the money some of these people have paid in my opinion

I would be expecting that to be the end of it.

Thank you for clearing up the whole anaesthesia bit, I was pretty sure that was the case but thought I heard somewhere that they were only under a light sedation :rofl::rofl: .

Edited by moko81

Sorry Cordy have to correct you here. Having Neos with their big droopy squishy faces pretty much all of my guys have had a cherry eye or two, I have a wonderful vet who agrees with me not to muck around with them and take them out and be done with it. He does it during a normal consultation under a light sedative and local anesthetic, takes two seconds and less than $150 all inclusive and never ever have I had a dog worry about the whole proceedure.

Admittedly if he is on holidays or something I can not find another vet that will take them out at all, even his partner wont do it and its kept quiet around the clinic.

Edited by jedash

We had one 11 years ago and had it cut out with no subsequent dry eye to date.

The breeder said that the ones that are stitched always seem to pop back again.

The dog had it done on a midday one Saturday, and was in the show ring at 3.00pm the same day, scored a challenge and no one would have been any the wiser.

After that experience I would only opt for complete removal.

Just an update, went in today to have Hugo's cherry eye removed. Was in & out within 20mins.

The vet explained to me again, the procedure & the possibility of dry eye & how we can moniter that.

He bled, when he was first bought out to me & that was all. Have just put his last lot of med's in for the night

& I swear you wouldn't even know he had it removed. Both myself & hubby were very surprised.

He really looks like a different dog, he got home & couldn't stop running around probably thinking

"shit I can see properly again" :):) ;)

Thanks to all for your opinions/advice. :laugh::laugh::o

Sorry Cordy have to correct you here. Having Neos with their big droopy squishy faces pretty much all of my guys have had a cherry eye or two, I have a wonderful vet who agrees with me not to muck around with them and take them out and be done with it. He does it during a normal consultation under a light sedative and local anesthetic, takes two seconds and less than $150 all inclusive and never ever have I had a dog worry about the whole proceedure.

Admittedly if he is on holidays or something I can not find another vet that will take them out at all, even his partner wont do it and its kept quiet around the clinic.

Yep the vet we went to only used a local anesthetic, was shocked at how quick it was. Thought they would have to knock him out & then have him in recovery but nah 20mins all done. Very Happy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: