Parvo In Tasmania

Hi to all Tasmanian Dolers

I just wondered if anyone knew anything about the story on the news last night? THere was a big thing about there being a huge parvovirus outbreak in Tassie and they talked to the Tassie Dogs Home and the RSPCA who said something about how many dogs had been lost to it and then basically said everyone should rush out and get their dogs vaccinated or they could die a horrible painful death.

I don't like to vaccinate unless it's absolutely necessary (eg I dont vaccinate annually any more) but if I thought there was a real and unusually high risk I would definitely consider it.

So is this a beat up, a part of some general campaign or a genuinely unusually high outbreak that I should be worried about?

Hmm thanks for responding oakway. You're probably right. There didn't seem to be much in the way of actual evidence (even anecdotal) of parvo except in the kennels at RSPCA etc - they mentioned how the virus loves cold climates but I've never heard anyone talk of any exceptional risk in Tassie before. I also thought my vet would have told me if there was a concern given that I've just spent weeks dealing with her re Tango!

Just thought I'd ask in case someone knew anything in particular.

Usually the news is quite slow to catch up on those kind of things so it could be an older outbreak... we had a few parvo cases over summer but they've dried up now I guess with the cold!

For peace of mind.. it may be worth titre testing your dogs.