Brand New 50d Or Second Hand 1d Mark Ii N?

Ripley

Something I'm just chewing over depending on how much tax refund I get (have to put in 2 years' worth).

I need a back up camera as changing lenses in dust/sand gets the sensor dirty and I've had to clone out blobs in my last batch of pics. I have a 30D and a very good lens for wildlife photography (300mm f/4 L prime and a L 1.4 teleconverter (which I rarely need)).

I have looked at another photo site and opinions are varied on this. Which would you buy - a second hand 1D Mark II N (note the N version, not just the Mark II) or a brand new 50D? AF on the 1D is supposed to be ideal for tracking moving wildlife but the reach I'd get with my lens on a smaller sensor on the 50D .. I can't decide. I could just crop later. I've been watching the prices on second hand 1D Mark II N's on ebay and they are going for about $950-$970 on ebay. I don't take portrait or dog photos, just birds, wildlife and scenics. I've missed a few shots with the 30D because AF can't keep up, but that's with the teleconverter attached, which slows it down a lot. I like my 30D, is it worth upgrading to a 50D, is there much difference? I know the 1D would be heavy and I'm only a slight build. I'm leaning towards the 50D atm.

Not sure if I'll get any replies here because of what I take pics of, but it can't help to ask. Thanks for any opinions.

eta: title keeps changing my Capital lettering!

Edited by Ripley

Once you go 1D you won't go back :thumbsup: Well, that's what they say - I use both the 1D and the 40D and like them both just fine. But the AF on the 1D series kicks serious booty.

How about a second hand 40D? I still like it better than the 50D, personally. That will free up even more cash.

You do get used to the weight of the 1D series. I have relatively small hands and they are very weak. The 1D just feels gooooood.

Edited by kja

Have heard too many other focus issue stories from others to ever recommend a 50D at any time. WOuld abgree with kja if you can find a 40D in good order it is a fantastic camera and would be just fine for a second camera.

the AF on the 1D series kicks serious booty.

How about a second hand 40D? I still like it better than the 50D, personally. That will free up even more cash.

You do get used to the weight of the 1D series. I have relatively small hands and they are very weak. The 1D just feels gooooood.

The AF is what I desire. Got a second hand 40D on 'watch' on ebay atm. Debating on whether to make a bid. I need another camera before mid August hopefully.

thanks kja and rubiton for the helpful advice.

it is pretty easy to clean the sensor too with the proper cleaning kit, and something you certainly van do yourself, no need to have to spend ages in photoshop removing stuff if it is kept clean in the first place

Ive never cleaned a sensor and the cameras have a self clean thing these days anyway.

The only problem I've had is a red pixel and that was solved with the putting the body cap on and holding the shutter open for 30 seconds so it does a self clean.

However if outside I try to avoid changing a lens after leaving the house.

The self-clean doesn't really clean clean. You'll still want to get a kit or find someone who can do it or commit to sending it in when it needs it. I'm lucky to have a friend who loves to do this stuff - too bad he's moving in a few months and I'll have to start doing it myself LOL