Bdoc In Canberra

For other people who are members of the BDOC in Canberra, do you know when the good times are to use the facilities? Looks like Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings are out because of obedience classes. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights are out because it's used for agility classes ...

We haven't taken Elbie off-lead except at the BDOC little off leash area and we're thinking of continuing there for a bit before trying one of the more 'public' dog parks. He's usually quite shy around the other dogs but today he went quite well and handled being chased around by a little Bernese Mountain Dog, a labrador and a bunch of other big dogs. Even though he was a bit disconcerted by a large classmate who pinned him - he recovered well and went back immediately to sniff so we think he's all right.

So ideally we'd like to go the BDOC grounds when there are some dogs but not heaps and heaps of dogs around ... We haven't been members long enough to be told what the gate combination is yet :laugh: We were the first to arrive today and had to wait there until someone opened the gate.

Edited by koalathebear

Glad to hear that little Elbie is going well with other doggies. :laugh:

We've used the grounds once outside of class/training times and quite enjoyed it, sometimes nice to have somewhere big to use without having lots of dogs running around and feeling a bit cramped!

We trundled over there on a Saturday morning, around 9:30am and the back paddock already had a few people there doing agility training but the main paddock was free. The kids had a run around in the small off-leash area first, then moved to the main paddock for a bit more space.

Haven't really been there any other times, so not really sure.. that Saturday we went was pretty good being rather empty.

Have a chat to the office staff about access to the grounds and they'll be able to help you out. :love:

My kiddies (including me!) would love to meet Elbie sometime when he's ready to meet a few more doggie friends. :laugh:

Edited by Clastic

Glad to hear that little Elbie is going well with other doggies. :rofl:

We've used the grounds once outside of class/training times and quite enjoyed it, sometimes nice to have somewhere big to use without having lots of dogs running around and feeling a bit cramped!

We trundled over there on a Saturday morning, around 9:30am and the back paddock already had a few people there doing agility training but the main paddock was free. The kids had a run around in the small off-leash area first, then moved to the main paddock for a bit more space.

Haven't really been there any other times, so not really sure.. that Saturday we went was pretty good being rather empty.

Have a chat to the office staff about access to the grounds and they'll be able to help you out. :cry:

My kiddies (including me!) would love to meet Elbie sometime when he's ready to meet a few more doggie friends. :cry:

Thanks heaps for replying. wuffles mentioned you'd had a play date there recently and said that one of your little ones was still small enough to probably not spook Elbie :cry: We'll probably stop by Thursday evening to ask for after hours access and try out one Saturday morning. I'm sure we'll all get to meet up soon - we should probably have an ACT DOLers meet-up in any case :(

BDOC= Belconnen Dog Obedience Club.

KTB, I know that its generally preferred that people only have gate access after they start classes, as strictly the rules are that you should show up to a certain percentage of classes before being given access.

I think most of Saturday is free, unless there's a trial on, Obedience doesn't start until 7pm (although the open triallers will generally be in the back paddock) and Agility usually starts setting up about 6:15pm. You should be fine before a class, or after flyball finishes on Sunday. You can use the facilities providing you aren't interrupting training. Are you starting classes next session with Elbie?

Thanks heaps for replying. wuffles mentioned you'd had a play date there recently and said that one of your little ones was still small enough to probably not spook Elbie :laugh: We'll probably stop by Thursday evening to ask for after hours access and try out one Saturday morning. I'm sure we'll all get to meet up soon - we should probably have an ACT DOLers meet-up in any case :o

No problemo :laugh:

Mars gets a bit excitable when he meets new doggies and people; Pepper is still small and young at 3 months and really just wants to play. Poor little girl tried to mush her way between the 2 big monsters while they were playing.

KTB, I know that its generally preferred that people only have gate access after they start classes, as strictly the rules are that you should show up to a certain percentage of classes before being given access.

I think most of Saturday is free, unless there's a trial on, Obedience doesn't start until 7pm (although the open triallers will generally be in the back paddock) and Agility usually starts setting up about 6:15pm. You should be fine before a class, or after flyball finishes on Sunday. You can use the facilities providing you aren't interrupting training. Are you starting classes next session with Elbie?

Hi

We have been going to beginner classes with Elbie on Sunday. His test is in 2 weeks:) We'll do bronze after that

Edited by koalathebear

Hi

We have been going to beginner classes with Elbie on Sunday. His test is in 2 weeks:) We'll do bronze after that

Sweet, you should be fine getting the code then. I think you just need to fill in a form at the office. I only get around to using the code when I open up early for class! :laugh: With 3 classes a week there, Shandy and I probably spend enough time there :laugh:

If you do Bronze on Sundays again, you might even be in my class.

I am off work this week because of the surgery so we went to the grounds today and had a wonderful time - no one else was there. Elbie ran and ran and ran - chasing his frisbee, his ball and having a really great time. I don't think he's had access to such a big place to run before! We practised some heel work but mostly have been trying to practise recalls with him - he doesn't tend to wander very far away from us though so we haven't really had a real opportunity to really test his recalls. For instance, he'll run a bit but always come circling back. Someone else arrived so we took our leave because they were there for Serious Training.

We also checked out the Ginninderra Dog Park at Diddams Close (hilarious name) but sans dog. It looks all right but very grass-free ...

At the BDOC grounds, we saw kangaroos in the distance - my OH is Canadian so he got a real kick out of seeing the kangaroos :rofl:

Elbie is now asleep in his dog bed - the running must have tired him out :)

Edited by koalathebear

I'm glad you're getting good use of the grounds while you're off. It was nice to meet you an Elbie yesteray - he's such a sweet little guy. We like the Belconnen dog Park too, but if you're concerned about too many dogs, it can get a bit crowded. A friend of mine swears by it with her 2 nervous dogs in the afternoon on weekdays, before most people get off work. We like to go when there are plenty of dogs around, but Shandy is an ex show dog, and pretty unphased by crowds. Even so, I've seen some nasty incidents there, with badly behaved dogs, and even worse behaved people!

Its lovely to see that you're being so careful in building up his confidence,and great to see how much trust he has in you.

I'm glad you're getting good use of the grounds while you're off. It was nice to meet you an Elbie yesteray - he's such a sweet little guy. We like the Belconnen dog Park too, but if you're concerned about too many dogs, it can get a bit crowded. A friend of mine swears by it with her 2 nervous dogs in the afternoon on weekdays, before most people get off work. We like to go when there are plenty of dogs around, but Shandy is an ex show dog, and pretty unphased by crowds. Even so, I've seen some nasty incidents there, with badly behaved dogs, and even worse behaved people!

Its lovely to see that you're being so careful in building up his confidence,and great to see how much trust he has in you.

Nice to meet you and Shandy, too! Thanks for the info. We're trying to be careful with Elbie because even though he came from a family with kids, cats and dogs and he's been to puppy class - he always seems far more interested in people than dogs and he's definitely very submissive and uncertain of other dogs. We realise that it might be the case that he might never want to 'play' with other dogs, but we do want him to learn to be comfortable in the presence of other dogs. He's good in class and seems unfussed by the presence of other dogs - it's juts during play times, we notice that he never initiates play and when other dogs try to place with him, he'll hide ... We're all enjoying our classes at BDOC though and I personally feel more comfortable with dogs whose owners make the effort to take their dogs for training etc ;)

kumaAkita:

You've got classes with Kuma starting very soon! how exciting ;) I shall keep an eye out for you and your little (not so little :laugh: bear! I have never met an akita before! If Elbie flunks beginners then I guess we might be in the same class :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear