Diet Advice, Please Help

Hi all

I have been reading different things about diets for large beed puppies and its bloody confusing, so i thought i would ask the question to all you good folk

I have a 16 week old, Lab\Poodle cross that will be a standard size so about the 25kg mark at adulthood.

My issue is i am hearing that high protin is no good for a large breed puppy,i have been feeding him Artemis, Large Breed puppy dry food which is 27% protine, is this good or bad?. The other dry food i was giving his was the Royal Canin Labrador puppy mix.

His diet consists of the following

Atremis about 1 cup in the morning

Barf patty and .5 cups artemis lunch

dinner usually chicken necks and a bit of artemis for dinner

he will get one meal that is only Artemis and the other two will change from day to day including chicken necks, sardines, chicken frames, scraps (Roast lamb, chicken, steak)

The breeder has suggested\recommended follow a full Barf diet but i also hear conflicting stories about this as well.

What are your thougths\suggestions on this

Thanks

Hi all

I have been reading different things about diets for large beed puppies and its bloody confusing, so i thought i would ask the question to all you good folk

I have a 16 week old, Lab\Poodle cross that will be a standard size so about the 25kg mark at adulthood.

My issue is i am hearing that high protin is no good for a large breed puppy,i have been feeding him Artemis, Large Breed puppy dry food which is 27% protine, is this good or bad?. The other dry food i was giving his was the Royal Canin Labrador puppy mix.

he will get one meal that is only Artemis and the other two will change from day to day including chicken necks, sardines, chicken frames, scraps (Roast lamb, chicken, steak)

The breeder has suggested\recommended follow a full Barf diet but i also hear conflicting stories about this as well.

Thanks

I don't know much about large breed diets, but just thought I'd pop into say, I think your giving him a great start. Artemis is a great food, and as long as you stick to the large breed variety my guess is he would be fine. I also feed a combination of a good quality kibble in the morning, and barf patties at night. With either turkey necks or lamb flaps during the day. I would ask the breeder if you have any further questions. I bet he is adorable, what colour is he?

Congrats on the new pup... they grow up quick though so take PLENTY of photos while they are small and adorable (although being adorable never really leaves any dog... hehehe)

I had Henry on Artemis Fresh Mix dry food and he did not do too well on it, ended up with a bad case of the runs and I switched him over to Holistic Select - so far that has been going well and the stools are a lot more firmer. Just keep an eye on what is coming out the other end and if it is appearing runny or he has an upset stomach you may want to consider switching.

That said every dog will be different and will do well on a certain food that another dog may not. If you are going to switch the dry food at some point though you should always do this gradually over a few weeks so that the sensitive tummy of your pup can get used to a new food.

Lastly I would also suggest to wet the dry food that you are giving your puppy. Henry started to choke or cough when he was eating his dry food... as I found out - was because the dry food was dry and as soon as it went down his throat (of course he takes large mouthfulls being a lab...!) it was sometimes getting caught. Now I boil the kettle and add a little water and wait for it to cool down... so far no problems...

Hi all

Thanks

I don't know much about large breed diets, but just thought I'd pop into say, I think your giving him a great start. Artemis is a great food, and as long as you stick to the large breed variety my guess is he would be fine. I also feed a combination of a good quality kibble in the morning, and barf patties at night. With either turkey necks or lamb flaps during the day. I would ask the breeder if you have any further questions. I bet he is adorable, what colour is he?

Hi, we luckly got a chocolate pup, yeahs he is a hand full talk about full of energy

Congrats on the new pup... they grow up quick though so take PLENTY of photos while they are small and adorable (although being adorable never really leaves any dog... hehehe)

I had Henry on Artemis Fresh Mix dry food and he did not do too well on it, ended up with a bad case of the runs and I switched him over to Holistic Select - so far that has been going well and the stools are a lot more firmer. Just keep an eye on what is coming out the other end and if it is appearing runny or he has an upset stomach you may want to consider switching.

That said every dog will be different and will do well on a certain food that another dog may not. If you are going to switch the dry food at some point though you should always do this gradually over a few weeks so that the sensitive tummy of your pup can get used to a new food.

Lastly I would also suggest to wet the dry food that you are giving your puppy. Henry started to choke or cough when he was eating his dry food... as I found out - was because the dry food was dry and as soon as it went down his throat (of course he takes large mouthfulls being a lab...!) it was sometimes getting caught. Now I boil the kettle and add a little water and wait for it to cool down... so far no problems...

Hey sticks

Yeah i have heaps of photos now, but trying to get the little bugger to stand still long enough to get a good photo is proving very hard

My large breed (approx 40kg at adult weight) came to me on Nutrience Puppy Medium Breed (protein 28% / fat 17%) His breeder prefers it over the large breed variety for young pups (which is protein 24% / fat 14%). The idea with the lower protein large/giant breed foods is that they grow the puppy more slowly which helps to prevent problems later down the track. If you are worried you can always try a large breed adult food instead.

His diet now sounds pretty balanced out with the other raw/bones/BARF that you are feeding anyhow and Artemis is not a bad food.

25kg? Are you sure? Many of the lab/poodle mixes I have seen are HUGE. Being a cross it's unlikely that you are going to be able to pinpoint his adult weight until he gets there as it could be anything, but both purebred Labs and Standard Poodles (if that is his mix) are big/tall dogs.

My large breed (approx 40kg at adult weight) came to me on Nutrience Puppy Medium Breed (protein 28% / fat 17%) His breeder prefers it over the large breed variety for young pups (which is protein 24% / fat 14%). The idea with the lower protein large/giant breed foods is that they grow the puppy more slowly which helps to prevent problems later down the track. If you are worried you can always try a large breed adult food instead.

His diet now sounds pretty balanced out with the other raw/bones/BARF that you are feeding anyhow and Artemis is not a bad food.

25kg? Are you sure? Many of the lab/poodle mixes I have seen are HUGE. Being a cross it's unlikely that you are going to be able to pinpoint his adult weight until he gets there as it could be anything, but both purebred Labs and Standard Poodles (if that is his mix) are big/tall dogs.

Hi, going by the guidlines of this breed the standard size should be between 23kg and 30kg and was suggested to use Large breed pup mixes no matter what, what other dry foods are recommended? as mentioned i have tried the Royal canin jr Lab mox but have heard this may not be the best

if you're going to get royal canin get the maxi, not the labrador. Since he's a cross he could end up anything really but being lab better to err on the large breed side.

If not Royal Canin then Eagle Pack, Nutrience, Nutro, etc

HI Gary C

With a cross breed you need to look at the adult weight in the breed standard of both breeds and allow for these weights and heights , the diet he is on sounds good , a complete raw diet for growing puppies can be hard to balance but if you would like to do this get your hands on the book grow your pup with bones.

Most standard poodle cross labs I have seen are high energy dogs so if you are keeping him fit he may need a little more than the standard recommended amount for his weight

enjoy your new puppy hope to see more posts with Pics love puppy picks

a complete raw diet for growing puppies can be hard to balance ...

Not true - raw diets are very easy to balance.

Go for 80% meaty meat, 10% edible bones and 10% organs (of which half should be liver).

(edit) Dogs need roughly 2-3% of their expected ADULT weight per day, then you adjust according to what you see.

Balanced, easy, cheap, and (above-all) species appropriate!

If it was my dog, I'd follow your breeder's good advice to feed raw.

Sonia :dancingelephant:

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds