Our Dog Just Attacked Our Other Dog

luvs_mutts

Question; our 2 year old Cairn Terrier X just attacked our 3 year old Poodle. Both dogs were originally rescue dogs. I've had the Poodle 2 years and Cairn Terrier X 1 year approx. There has been a little jealously but nothing major; although the Cairn Terrier X is always quite jealous at times; she was abused when a pup by previous owner and I'm sure this is one of the reasons why. Tonight she actually physically bit the Poodles Tail drawing blood trying to steal a bone from her (she already had one of her own but it was in another room). I've bathed the Poodles tail with salt water and will keep a careful eye on her tonight; depending on the state of the wound in the morning I may take her to the vet. My husband had to pull the Cairn Terrier X off of the Poodle. My question is what to do; obviously I realise to keep a eye on her but maybe obedience classes or animal behaviourist; can anyone give me any pointers. Thanks.

I think you need to see a behaviourist and ensure there is nothing of value left with the dogs in the mean time. If blood was drawn, i'd be off to the vet in the morning as antibiotics may be needed.

Yes, start with the most immediate. Poodle to the vet to treat the tail bite. And keep the two dogs separate for feeding, treats & bones.

There's been research on inhouse fights between dogs....& female pairs were found to figure the largest in this type of aggression.

Given that aggression is a normal trait in dogs (as it is in humans), it's a question of setting the boundaries to what's acceptable via training....such as all food, treats & other good things (like pats & cuddles) have to be earned by obeying a command first. And also by managing the environment.

I've had 2 shelties who lived together for nearly 14 years, who had 2 all-out, in-home brawls in that time. Because the pushy female tried to nick the others food (my fault for feeding them together).

And my angelic tibbie girl....also with a glorious temperament....once flew at the same pushy sheltie girl who tried to steal her treat. Another almighty dog-fight (but I learned my lesson, again!). And I had to pluck the tibbie who was fighting like a small dragon, out of the middle.

By the way, both the sheltie & the tib were purebreds, born & raised in the best of circumstances. Those isolated dog fights were a manifestation that aggression is a normal trait....& more likely inhouse between female dogs. And needed to be kept within the boundaries, via training & management.

Which I did & so those isolated incidents didn't escalate in frequency.

Edited by mita

I think you need to see a behaviourist and ensure there is nothing of value left with the dogs in the mean time. If blood was drawn, i'd be off to the vet in the morning as antibiotics may be needed.

Unless a wound needs stitching I never bother with the vet for bite wounds on dogs or the doctor for bites on humans. Just wash the wound well and apply Icthalmol ointment from the chemist. It stops infection in any wound and is especially great for puncture wounds. It won't hurt the dog to lick it, just apply several times a day if they lick it off. Safe for cats too. My family have used it on humans and animals for longer than I have been alive and we have never had a wound that it is used on become infected. It will also remove infection that has started in a wound that wasn't treated straight away.

Unless a wound needs stitching I never bother with the vet for bite wounds on dogs or the doctor for bites on humans. Just wash the wound well and apply Icthalmol ointment from the chemist. It stops infection in any wound and is especially great for puncture wounds. It won't hurt the dog to lick it, just apply several times a day if they lick it off. Safe for cats too. My family have used it on humans and animals for longer than I have been alive and we have never had a wound that it is used on become infected. It will also remove infection that has started in a wound that wasn't treated straight away.

Think i will have to get me some of this!!! :laugh:

Maybe, but plenty of wounds that are not worth stitching are still worth a visit to the vet for examination, for antibiotics, and for anti-inflammatory medication. Ointment might not stop infection if it is in a really ragged or pocketed wound, or if the bone has been punctured.

I generally prefer not to have dogs wounds stitched up if at all possible, but other treatment may be necessary.

Advice for the OP, who may be unfamiliar with dog bite injuries. Do see a vet if you are concerned, but do ask if it will heal without stitching, because it is good to avoid unnecessary general anaesthetics.

Question for everyone else - Is it common for dogs to bite other dogs on the tail? I have never heard of an incident like that, or is it a small dog thing?