Problem Resolved Thanks

cbgirl

The fact that you are worried & have posted here & given what you have posted I guess you already know what you should do

Ask for your deposit back as the breeder cannot guarantee you a healthy puppy.

Good luck in getting it. If you can't get it back walk away. The long term expense & possible heartbreak will be much greater.

I agree with what the others have said!!! look on the DOL breeders pages im sure u will find a much more trust worthy breeder.... this "breeder" just doesnt seem like they are above board with everything.... maybe a byb with reg dogs??? Just sounds dodgy to me and i wouldnt risk it.... (this is coming from someone who did take a puppy home that i wasnt happy with and regret it)

You poor thing!

It is so hard once you have bonded!

But I agree with the previous posters... you will be able to bond with another dog and any deposit lost is going to be far less than the thousands of medical expenses you may be up for. And if he has a pre-existing complaint you may not even qualify for pet insurance (which you would want if you took home this pup).

Also, the idea of the breeder picking a pup for you doesn't sit too well with me.... I'd be finding another breeder altogether. The fact they are even contemplating sending this pup in such a condition to a new home, isn't having the pups best interests at heart at all.

Also, the idea of the breeder picking a pup for you doesn't sit too well with me.... I

This is actually very common. Breeders know the temp of the pups best and match them to potential owners accordingly.

You're concerns are genuine, you're not a worry wort...in the end it's your decision but you've been advised by several people to think hard and not go ahead if your gut tells you not to.

<<<I am a worry wort so part of me thinks I am overreacting and worrying >>>

no- certainly NOT overreacting !!

speaking to the breeders vet is good- but an independent vet would be even better - they have no loyalty to get in the way.

In a young pup- I would be worried about staining under the eyes- - but that's me . A lot of people live with tear staining and weeping etc. I couldn't.

Do you have pics of the puppy you can post?

You might be thankful for a dopey Wei, they are pretty full on :crossfingers:

I think posting pics still in the breeders care and expressing public concern is a bit off though. I would probably remove them :rasberry:

Apart from the eye staining both puppies appear to be in lovely condition :crossfingers:

One of the bitches I've kept from my last litter had tear staining on one side, her eye wept, it cleared itself at about 9 weeks of age and she's now 3.5 months and not a stain in sight and hasn't had any sign of tears since then.

Edited by Aziah

My puppy had tear stains like that when we got him. I have had our vet give his eyes a thorough check (twice, because I'm a worry wort), and he said that his eyes are perfectly fine :crossfingers:. He still gets the staining, but mostly after he has been playing in the dirt.

I am in no way bashing this breeder. Even the best, most careful, ethical breeder can experience problems with a litter, and I feel a lot of empathy for them.

BUT...

Based on what you have posted so far you should proceed with caution with this particular puppy. I am not saying walk away from him, but do listen to that gut feeling. If you do decide to take him make sure that you have him checked over thoroughly by a competent vet who has his full history either before you take him home, or soon thereafter, and have a clear agreement with the breeder that you can return him for a full refund at that point if anything is found at that that you are not comfortable with.

Ive noticed the breeder always wiping them when we come

Simply put, there is no good reason for a weimaraner puppy (or adult) to have chronically weepy eyes.

Sure, after a romp in the dirt maybe, but not always.

It is important to know that this is a breed prone to distichiasis (an extra row of lashes growing from the inner rim of the eyelids). Excessive tearing or even just a constant ball of gunk in the corner of the eye is often the only sign of distichiasis in a young puppy, because at that age the extra lashes are often very fine and hard to see.

So, yes, while not problematic in some breeds, weepy eyes in a weim puppy would be a cause for concern for me.

Entropion (where the lids actually roll inward) is less common but still found in the breed. It's also a bit more obvious and more likely to have been noticed by the breeder and the vet.

Even if it is not distichiasis or entropion, I would still be concerned. Those weepy eyes mean something. A normal, healthy weim (of any age) would not have them unless there was a problem. It's just not a normal thing for this breed to have weepy eyes and tear stains.

Likewise a normal, healthy weim puppy should be full on. If he seems fragile and not quite right when you have a much more robust littermate to compare him to, then you are right to be concerned about that too, given the rocky health history of the entire litter. (Again, not breeder bashing here.. sometimes s**t happens, despite doing all the right things and it is not unreasonable to wonder if this puppy might have some hidden health issues).

You should also know that weims can have issues with an autoimmune reaction following vaccination. The significance with this particular puppy, given his history, is how well he will handle his puppy shots. With weims it's a big no-no to tax a baby immune system already struggling with some other issue.. and to be honest, it is possible that there might be some sort of other issue here.

Again, to repeat. I am not saying walk away from this puppy. He could be perfectly fine, and to be sure, those pictures show a couple of weim babies who do appear healthy and well cared for.

Just do your homework, ask questions about the above points and make sure you are comfortable with the answers you get from the breeder, their vet and your vet.

Edited to add to "If you do decide to take him" to second paragraph.

Edited by silverdog

thanks silverdog for all your feedback... i honestly appreciate it and I will take everything that you have said on board. :)

A dog is for life and we really need to work out if this is the best thing, for him and for us... long term.

thanks guys :hug:

I am in no way bashing this breeder. Even the best, most careful, ethical breeder can experience problems with a litter, and I feel a lot of empathy for them.

BUT...

Based on what you have posted so far you should proceed with caution with this particular puppy. I am not saying walk away from him, but do listen to that gut feeling. If you do decide to take him make sure that you have him checked over thoroughly by a competent vet who has his full history either before you take him home, or soon thereafter, and have a clear agreement with the breeder that you can return him for a full refund at that point if anything is found at that that you are not comfortable with.

Ive noticed the breeder always wiping them when we come

Simply put, there is no good reason for a weimaraner puppy (or adult) to have chronically weepy eyes.

Sure, after a romp in the dirt maybe, but not always.

It is important to know that this is a breed prone to distichiasis (an extra row of lashes growing from the inner rim of the eyelids). Excessive tearing or even just a constant ball of gunk in the corner of the eye is often the only sign of distichiasis in a young puppy, because at that age the extra lashes are often very fine and hard to see.

So, yes, while not problematic in some breeds, weepy eyes in a weim puppy would be a cause for concern for me.

Entropion (where the lids actually roll inward) is less common but still found in the breed. It's also a bit more obvious and more likely to have been noticed by the breeder and the vet.

Even if it is not distichiasis or entropion, I would still be concerned. Those weepy eyes mean something. A normal, healthy weim (of any age) would not have them unless there was a problem. It's just not a normal thing for this breed to have weepy eyes and tear stains.

Likewise a normal, healthy weim puppy should be full on. If he seems fragile and not quite right when you have a much more robust littermate to compare him to, then you are right to be concerned about that too, given the rocky health history of the entire litter. (Again, not breeder bashing here.. sometimes s**t happens, despite doing all the right things and it is not unreasonable to wonder if this puppy might have some hidden health issues).

You should also know that weims can have issues with an autoimmune reaction following vaccination. The significance with this particular puppy, given his history, is how well he will handle his puppy shots. With weims it's a big no-no to tax a baby immune system already struggling with some other issue.. and to be honest, it is possible that there might be some sort of other issue here.

Again, to repeat. I am not saying walk away from this puppy. He could be perfectly fine, and to be sure, those pictures show a couple of weim babies who do appear healthy and well cared for.

Just do your homework, ask questions about the above points and make sure you are comfortable with the answers you get from the breeder, their vet and your vet.

Edited to add to "If you do decide to take him" to second paragraph.

Great post and very imformative :cry:

I'm not breeder bashing, the pups seem like they are well looked after, but given the above info, I really think the breeder should not yet be selling this pup. while the pup *may* be fine, I think it would be sensilble and the right thing to do for the breeder hold on to the pup until the problems resolve or a cause can be determined for them.

I also think it is quite unusual fo a weim puppy to be subdued, the ones I;ve met have always been full of energy and very bouncy.

Can you confirm that the breeder wants you to take the "sick" one?

Why don't you ask if you can take the bigger, healthier one, esp as you mentioned you've already bonded with him?