Colitis In Gsd

Guest poppett

Theres a really good diet called z/d by Hills prescription science diet, much better than the Eukanuba low residue. The low residue is good for regular pooing but not colitis, ask your vet as I know somone that used it, with a dog with exactly the same symptoms and found it helped straight away . It may be used long or short term, have to see how the symptoms go.

Also a mixture of slippery elm bark, honey, and lactobacillis and mix with a little warm water, and let your dog lap it before meals really helps an irritated bowel.

good luck ........... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

To Melt and Cutecav

Thanks for all your advice. I have followed up on what you suggested and have my girl on Eukanuba Low residue food - she is doing well (better but not perfect yet).

I have this week started Protexin and she seems to have improved somewhat since I started both these.

Just thought I'd let you know as too many times on threads of DOL people don't come back and give a follow up to advice kindly given by respondents.

My vet always recommends about 4-5 days on a bland diet for any blood in stools, and of course does a check for any temperature or other signs of illness.

I recently had a family puppy on this for about 5 days as we thought she had eaten some tan bark and knew a foolish visitor had given her a sausage roll (she was 6 weeks old) and she passed blood. in very squishy motions.

Its a VERY temporary diet and might be too messy and costly for the larger breeds, but I've had it cure up tummy troubles in my dogs many times over the years. :thumbsup:

You simply simmercut up pieces of chicken breast meat with rice, so there's no fat, do rice on the way and toss in chicken for about 5 mins, cook all lightly--and the dog eats this light food 2-3 times a day.

They get hungry -but the trick is nothing else to eat at all ,and when the stool is normal, begin to add more and more of the staple food ,less light diet--say over 36 hrs, till all is back to normal.

Glad to hear you dog is improving :) It sounds like taking away the things that they are chewing on certainly has helped, as well as the supliments.

Another thought to consider though is the posibilites of food allergies. My girl Zayda gets colitis when she gets a food she is allergic to... When she hasn't snuck any treats and is only on her "safe" foods, then it clears up..... I can tell when she's been mooching treats 'cos she flares with the colitis - cheeky sod :)

Good luck with sorting it out!!

Dan