Boarding Kennel - Canberra Area

p_stampy

Hello

I'm possibly going away in Oct/Nov this year, for a week+. For various reasons we have decided the best option is a boarding kennel.

Anyway, I am asking if anyone can recommend or not recommend anywhere. I am able to find contact details online, but I guess I am after personal experiences.

The only reviews I've been able to find is one from riotact:

http://the-riotact.com/?p=18251

I have never put my puppy in a kennel and am quite anxious about it all. She is fine when she is right beside me out in the open world, but the most we've been away from each other in 4 years would be a day or two. She isn't the most outgoing puppy, and can take time to warm to some people.

I live in belconnen.

Sorry if there is a thread about this already - I wasn't able to find it.

Thanks

Hello

I'm possibly going away in Oct/Nov this year, for a week+. For various reasons we have decided the best option is a boarding kennel.

Anyway, I am asking if anyone can recommend or not recommend anywhere. I am able to find contact details online, but I guess I am after personal experiences.

The only reviews I've been able to find is one from riotact:

http://the-riotact.com/?p=18251

I have never put my puppy in a kennel and am quite anxious about it all. She is fine when she is right beside me out in the open world, but the most we've been away from each other in 4 years would be a day or two. She isn't the most outgoing puppy, and can take time to warm to some people.

I live in belconnen.

Sorry if there is a thread about this already - I wasn't able to find it.

Thanks

Want me to dog sit for you?

Perhaps, will talk to Ben. I know our dogs get along, but he's worried about her "escaping" and trying to run home/find me.

You know what she's like, she'll be fine down at the river running around/playing with people, but as soon as I run up to the shed she's next to me like a shadow.

Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it.

Perhaps, will talk to Ben. I know our dogs get along, but he's worried about her "escaping" and trying to run home/find me.

You know what she's like, she'll be fine down at the river running around/playing with people, but as soon as I run up to the shed she's next to me like a shadow.

Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it.

My plan would be to leave her at your place. I'd hang out with her, feed, walk, play etc but then leave her over night. Other wise, she can hang out here if you think she'd cope. I'm open to suggestion. I just know I will never leave Cody in a kennel.

Here's a review that I found, it's not written by me but sums up what I've experienced pretty well. It's not included the sound proof area for the noisy dogs, that is basically a bricked in, blacked out cave with no natural light.

Your dog should recieve at least an hour of exercise each day. Take a good look around any boarding kennel and pay particular attention to the number of exercise runs they have. The one that can house a couple of hundred dogs and has just a couple of runs, cannot give each individual dog an hour a week, let alone an hour a day.

As a former long-time employee of a kennel and cattery, I am in a position to give you a run-down on what goes on.

We had three hours each day to do the following for hundreds of dogs:

1. Remove faeces and take it to the back of the property;

2. Hose the floor of up to 6 buildings;

3. Hose the bedding for each dog;

3. Prepare the food and give each dog the same thing – unless of course they were on a special diet;

4. Place water into their bowls. River water was used.

5. Medicate them as needed.

I never walked or played with a dog in the time I was there – time just didn’t allow it on weekends especially, but I did give them loads of comfort cuddles when the ‘boss’ wasn’t watching.

The cats have pretty much the same routine, with more attention paid to scrubbing the walls of their cubicles. Beware though, if the staff member uses too much chemical, it can burn the cat’s feet, so ask questions about this. We had up to 100 cats at any one time.

Please, ask a LOT of questions when you decide to pay for added extras such as “walking” or “playtime”, or “washing”. Also, please ask a LOT of questions relating to the 1st class accommodation you think you are getting. The number of times I was asked to move dogs to the standard accommodation after they were booked into 1st class accommodation was disturbing.

Also, if more people demanded to actually see where the dogs live, it would open some eyes to the reality of kennels. IF you see any green grass/yard area, but are refused entry to the other areas, please demand to go down there – nobody is allowed down there but staff, animals, and maintenance people. Ever wondered why?

The ‘ambiance’ of the kennels includes heavy metal doors, plastic dog beds, darkness, loud air conditioning units that have seen better days, wetness, stink, faeces, barking, urine, and a lot of very sad dogs.

I am not saying they are all like this, but the one where I worked certainly was although in general they were pretty good. Next time you choose to leave your dog at the kennels, DEMAND to see EVERY AREA, even if you bring your own gumboots. If they say no, ask for reasons as to why.

It’s tough, back-breaking work, but the time limits that are placed on staff actually performing their jobs was a little ridiculous. Christmas time, when the place was full, we would only get three hours on a weekend to do all the above. Paying the staff more, and allowing them to work up to 4 or 5 hours was not an option. I worked 7 days a week most weeks, and managed to lose 12 kilos. I am sure that these time limits do not apply to every kennels or cattery out there – they are all different.

If you can – please, please please, get a reliable friend or neighbour to look after your animal – in the comfort of their own surroundings.

Sigh. I sympathise with you a lot. We suspect we're not going on any more holidays because we don't want to leave Elbie with a kennel and our family aren't dog people so we can't ask them to look after them. RiotACT people recommend dog walkers or people to come over but I've read some horror stories about the walker/carer not showing up for some reason and the poor dogs almost starving to death ;)

If we can teach Elbie to be sleep outside, then we might be able to have someone come over to look after him in the backyard etc. Hope you find a suitable solution!

It's probably too far away (1.5 hours drive) from Canberra but I can speak very highly of the quality care given at Drovers Rest Boarding Kennels and Cattery at Cooma. The business is run by Maggie and Andrew Harvey and whilst Maggie is the business head, Andrew is just a big-goofy-dog-mad man. The facility they have built and extended over the years is first class including insulation and sub floor heating (important in Cooma ;) The exercise runs are grassed and spacious, there's plenty of room to separate reactive dogs and many dogs get individual on-lead walks around the property. Bathing, worming, medicines and special diets are no problem to these folk.

I am in no way associated with the business except as a happy customer.

If ever you're planning a trip to the snow, Drovers Rest is close by.

Good luck with your search.

We are super-fussy about our dogs and the best boarding experience we had in Canberra was at the Canberra Pet Care centre in Queanbeyan. It cost a lot because we used the executive suite but the dogs were well-cared for and the staff friendly and professional.

Do visit kennels before making a booking. Do talk to others about their experiences. When I worked for a shelter, the number of people who came home from a break to find their animal missing was extraordinary. Dogs and cats go missing when owners are away, especially if someone is supposed to come in to care for them daily. Would you prefer to know your dog is safe and sound in a kennel or that it may escape the yard in search of you if left at home?

There is no right or wrong way to go, but make sure you make an informed decision. :thumbsup:

And what happens when you don't pay for the executive suite, the play time and the grooming time ?

Yep, they may well be "safe and sound" in their kennel, but you can pretty much guarantee they will be standing in the same pen for the duration of their stay and will have the crap hosed out from around them.

P stampy, I know of people that travel hours to pop their dogs into certain kennels, where the level of exercise and care is guaranteed.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have emailed the Canberra Boarding Kennel out that way *points towards sydney* to take a look at what they have to offer...otherwise I will have a chat to Nicole :thumbsup:

Unfortunately we're not going to sydney or the snow...!

Edited by p_stampy

• 3 months later...
Just a HUGE PUBLIC MEGA THANKS to Nic for looking after Jadey, she did an excellent job.

Jade snubbed me when we got home!!!

She's mad at you. I left Anouk and Ziggy with my parents for 3 1/2 weeks while I was in Europe. When I got back, Anouk was so excited she almost turned herself inside out, but then she ignored me for a couple of days as punishment :rofl: