Puppy Desexing

iwannapuppy

Hi , Just wondering if anyone has had this problem after getting puppy desexed? I have a six month old lab and had her desexed Thursday. She seems to be going crazy won't walk too far, and sitting down all the time. When she does get up she walks backwards like she is uncomfortable,which I am sure she is and trying to lick and look down at her wound area. . Vet says could be clipper rash from where she was shaved so have cream and sedatives if she gets to crazy, he also checked wound said all looks ok. She is also scrathing you know like when dogs are trying to get their bed in order and then rubbing her face on the ground, like when dogs want to rub in something to get the smell on them. Just wondering if anyone else had their dog doing the same thing ?

Thanks for your help ?!

Clipper rash is quite common unfortunately so it could be that. If she is pulling at her stitches, perhaps a E-collar would be best. She does sound uncomfortable, which is understandable as its a very invasive procedure for a female dog. But within a few days, the pain should settle and she should feel better. Keep her nice and quiet (indoors if possible) and don't let her run around too much. Give her a day or so more and if she is still acting strangely, take her to a different vet for a second opinion.

Sounds to me that she is in pain. Different dogs have different pain thresholds so maybe she is just a softy or maybe the stitches are not done right and are pulling. I would be asking the vet for some more pain relief for her and if she doesn't start to fell better very soon would try another vet.

There is usually some discomfort and pain for the first 24-48 hours post op but usually only enough to make them want to lie around quietly. After that they are pretty much back to normal and keeping them quiet is the problem. Do you know what time she was done Thursday? If it wasn't until late in the day then it isn't 48 hours yet.