Which Food?

Hi,

We have a 8 week old GSD.

Just wondering what everyone else feeds their GSD? Like what brand dry food? and what raw meats? how often etc?

I heard chicken necks are good?

There is soo many dry food combinations out there, at the moment we are using pro plan for puppies..

What did your puppy's breeder recommend?

If they've been in the breed a while and successfully raised pups to be healthy adults, I'd not be straying far from that advice.

Well they recommended Pro Plan, but could that be because of the free puppy packs / sponsorship?

I am looking for whats best for my puppy...

pro plan isnt a bad food. Dont go down in quality, your other options are Royal Canin Maxi/German shepherd formulas, Eagle Pack Large Breed, Nutro Large Breed, etc

if the pup is looking good then I wouldnt go changing the food.

What did your puppy's breeder recommend?

If they've been in the breed a while and successfully raised pups to be healthy adults, I'd not be straying far from that advice.

Well they recommended Pro Plan, but could that be because of the free puppy packs / sponsorship?

I am looking for whats best for my puppy...

Most premium dog food brands have breeders clubs and sponsor events or clubs. My guess is that the pup's breeder recommended a product they thought he'd do well on. :)

Stick with the diet recommended by the breeder, unless the pup is not doing well on it for some reason.

If you are not happy with feeding Proplan, then I would discuss your reasons for wanting to change with the breeder.

The breeder should always be your first port of call when you are not sure about any aspect of your pup.

If you have purchased from a reputable breeder, who cares about the pups they sell, then they will be only too happy to answer any questions you may have.

Julie

I'm getting a GSD in a couple of weeks and I will be feeding my pup Royal Canin German Shepherd and that is mainly because the breeder feeds the pups that and they all seem to really look good on it. I had been looking at other options but unless I see any problems with my pup from Royal Canin GSD I'm going to stick to it but the pup will also get chicken necks by recommendation of the breeder.

I think it really is a good idea to speak to the breeder and find out why they feed the product they feed the dogs the particular brand of dog food. They should know what works with their breed but they should be able to tell you the reasons as well. My breeder has been really helpful with all my questions about the food she feeds the pups. That is also the reason you buy from a breeder.

As the others have said, speak to your breeder

Breeders i know who are 'sponsored' by a food are because they buy and use the food and are members of breeders clubs.

Pro plan is a good food, if you do change, do it slowly and mix the pups food and dont just swap and change.

Do your research and choose another food of equal quality or better,

Good luck