Pound Dogs

Alfie02

I would not walk straight into a pound and adopt immediately. Some people strike it lucky and find their heart dog. I did not. Mine had been given a positive temp assessment by rescuers and I went to meet him with my other dog on that basis and the photos of a smiley relaxed looking dog. They got along quite fine and I adopted him.

That was in October last year and since then, he has turned out to be a very tense clingy dog. Trainable yes, slowly, but has an unhealthy obsession with balls and a drive-mode that is difficult to control, hates being left alone, panicky, prone to leaping 2m fences and roams around with a perpetually stressed look on his face, mouth clamped and sniffing a lot. It has been a long learning process but the communication between my two dogs is actually quite incompatible and they are usually under surveillance because the male acts out and over the top if feeling very pressured and the female is inept at reading his body language and likes to invade his space persistently. They both receive training to manage and mitigate mishaps and learn proper manners.

I've coped with the aid of a behaviouralist, and I have much admiration for those rescuers who take poundies, however I will never pull one directly out of the pound again myself. Reputable rescue groups or rehomes from ethical breeder all the way, due to their experience and the fact that someone can say how they are in a home environment and whether they are suited to being alone or require constant company. I do love this dog and I will stand by him, however he has cost a lot more in terms of time and money than I ever expected. My dog is, in hindsight, better suited to a patient, experienced person who stays at home and has the time to anticipate and micro-manage his multiple issues, because he is an incredibly hard one to read at times.

Edited by Ms Genki

Thank you for your replies everyone, its so nice to hear how you all found your special dogs from the pound or rescue. And even though they may have some problems you stuck by them, so wonderful :) .

And lovely Piccie Shell, who couldnt fall in love with that face!

When I eventually get my pound dog I now know that I have so many options regarding rescue, I will probably take that route, just to make sure that we will be the perfect match up :thumbsup: .

The only dog I have ever chosen for myself was back when I was a teenager and my dad got me an old english sheepdog from a breeder. But since then all the dogs who have come to live with me have all been in need - homeless, getting sent to the pound, getting put to sleep, pregnant and no longer wanted. I figured they were all meant to come into my life so I've given them a forever home and learnt about them and their individual needs as I went along. I do have a weakness for white/pied staffies these days but would never reject any dog.