Pound Dogs

Alfie02

Hi all,

I am and always have been an advocate for pound dogs, I cant help but feel angry at the people who dump their dogs at the pound in appalling conditions and dont think/ dont care that their dog could be put to sleep because of their negligence and carelessness.

I was just wondering if you adopted your dog from the pound, how did you choose? They all are so deserving of a new loving home. Did your pound dog choose you or did you just know they were perfect from the begining? Did you find your dog on a rescue site or just when you went into the pound?

(Sorry if this is not okay to have on a pure bred dog forum as this is not strictly about pure bred dogs, if so just let me know and I will delete the post :laugh: )

it's awful isn't it how dogs end up at pounds.

I couldn't choose a dog directly from the pound, just wouldn't know which one to choose.

However my boy was straight from the pound but I was only supposed to foster him

and at least before I fostered him I knew that he had been temperament tested by a reputable person

If you do want to rescue a dog I would be doing it through a reputable rescue organisation because at least you know a bit about the dog first hopefully from their foster carers. And you have indirectly saved a dog from the pound! :laugh: and freed up another space for another pound dog :eek:

I always keep an eye on the pound sites and rescue sites as I used to foster in the UK but just not possible with my tribe of young kids right now. I did notice Indie on the pound site but didnt pay much attention to him. I went in looking for an older dog(mainly the huskies) but didnt think they would manage to fit into my family and cope with my young stafford girl. I said hi to all of the dogs and was about to leave when I spoke to Indie. I really didnt want a pup(5mth) but I instantly bonded with him. Had such beautiful manners for a pup but was skin and bone.He happily let me handle him all over, open/play with his mouth,responded really well to other dogs/cats. My girl was in the car so took her for a meet & greet, they instantly hit it off and acted like long lost friends. That was it! I knew he had to become part of our family. He did have some fear issues with my OH but he has overcome all of them. He is a fantastic dog, even OH says he is the greatest dog and he is damn hard to please in the dog department lol. Hopefully looking at helping Indie to beome a Delta dog in the future, fingers crossed he makes the cut.

There are so many. :eek: It is hard to choose.

i can only ditto the above (onsntillnflash). :thumbsup: Via a reputable rescue you have had someone care for the dog, get to know them and do the vetwork.

Make sure there is a trial period and return clause if it doesn't work out.

When a foster dog is placed into a forever home, another poundie can take that spot. :laugh:

Edited by Powerlegs

Too easy to let your heart rule your head in a pound. I would also recommend you contact a rescue group that has foster carers and discuss your requirements with them and see if they have a dog to match! Much less stressful.

I have matched quite a few people with dogs, I discuss exactly what they want and then start a search. Many people can't cope with seeing too many dogs in dire straits and only want to look at one or two in a more relaxed environment.

I've always adopted from shelters I've always like the scruffy terrier x type dogs so that is what I look for and this little girl in pic here "Lady" I adopted nearly 12 years ago after my previous similar girl was killed in a dog attack; but I've always felt that Lady chose me rather than I chose her! she is an old girl of around 16 now but has been the most loving little dog and really helped heal my broken heart after my other girl was killed in the dog attack. And I might be biased but I think she is beautiful!post-31607-1281440680_thumb.jpg

I checked the websites.

I went out to the AWL - after calling them about a red heeler 6 months old on their website. It took me a couple of hours to drive out there. And when I got there I found out that dog had already been adopted - in the time it took me to get there - and it was a boy dog not a girl dog like I wanted.

So I figure I'll go around and see what they've got and just get used to being there - cos those are stressful places for me. And there were two 10 week old blue heeler x puppies. So I took each one for a bit of one on one time. The first one while being prettier to look at - symetrical markings, no bucket - didn't want anything to do with me. So I went and got the other one, who looked pleased to see everybody and anybody including me. So she played a bit with me and also checked everything out. I had a chat with some of the volunteers about the personalities of both dogs, and they said the one with asymetric markings and the bucket on her head, was much more outgoing and friendly than the other one. Though they did warn me she was a bit loud at dinner time - that hasn't changed.

Basically I picked the friendly dog that liked me. And she's been a winner with everybody except my brother who is not so keen on being licked to death. I never have to worry about her picking a fight. And she makes a great rehab dog for fear aggressive dogs because she knows how to make non threatening greetings. She also knows when to leave a dog alone. And she's always known. And I have encouraged her to be friendly.

Pick the friendly dog, she deserves a good home.

http://www.clickandtreat.com/html/getdog.html

I don't look at the Pound and Rescue thread, I'd offer foster and buy every single one I could.

We're tossing between a puppy from a breeder or a rescue next. I'm leaning towards GAP hound, but I'm also thinking maybe I'll go the way I originally planned.

Most likely, when we're ready to welcome a new member, I'll make a new thread in the P & R forum, telling them about me and my partner, what we're looking for in a rescue dog, and ask them to let us know if a likely dog passes through their hands.

Then as a thankyou to the rescue who helped us out, I'll donate enough money to bust at least another dog out of the pound or provide care to one who's already been saved from death row.

That way, I avoid the impulse "That one!" choosing that would prove a disaster for me and the dog, and lead to a bad new home match, and I'll have DOL support to lean on.

Also, I can be sure at least one other dog has a lovely new chance at life

If I left it to myself, I'd be bringing home a new dog every hour because I couldn't leave the pound without it

Thanks for the replies guys!

I agree that getting a dog from a rescue organisation would be alot easier to handle, without having dozens of deserving dogs pleading at you with their eyes. Im so glad that people on this forum have chosen to adopt a pound or rescue dog as one of their dogs, as they have definatley gone to excellent dog savvy homes :eek: .

Mutt lover, what a beautiful dog, so lovely and sweet looking :thumbsup:

And thanks for the link Mrs Rusty Bucket :laugh:

Edit to add: Thats a wonderful idea HeavyPaws, that way you will be guarenteed to get a dog that really suits your house hold :laugh: And I completely agree about bringing home a pound dog every hour....its not their fault they are there, it just makes my heart break.

Edited by Alfie02

When i was with my ex, i really really wanted to get a dog from the pound. He said "No, because we dont need another dog and we arent even going to LOOK because youll fall inlove with one and we'll have to get it". I convinced him to go.

We walked in and slowly began walking down the dreadful isle. A teeny tiny dog actually squeezed through the bars and ran over to us. My ex picked the dog up and looked at me. We both frowned and the ranger came over and took him off us and said that dogs owners were coming to get him. We shrugged and walked to the next 'cell'. There sitting towards the back was a gorgeous boxer. He placidly walked to the front and sat down. My ex put his hand through the bar and pat the boxer. The boxer stood up and put his front legs over my exs hand and pinned it down. He leaned his head against my exs hand and ast still, LOVING the pat. My ex looked at me and said "he's ours".

Today he is roughly 10years old and still kicking. Such a gorgeous boy. My ex kept him when we split but whenever the dog see's me he comes over as fast as he can and pins me down for cuddles. He is still the best dog Ive ever seen.

Thats how we chose from the pound.

I would recommend taking the time to find a good rescue organisation that will support you and advise you through the process.

As wonderful as it is to rescue a dog (I have only ever owned rescues), unfortunately not all dogs in the pound are suitable for all people. A GOOD rescue organisation will be just as keen to make sure to make sure of a good match. Afterall, they won't want the dog to end up in the pound again.

My current dog I got through a breed rescue.

I was very clear on what we needed and what we could offer. I was willing to wait for the right dog.

Along came Honey and the rest is history. We adore her, she is the most wonderful dog.

Before we got Molly from a shelter I had checked out Pet rescue and various shelter sites every day just looking for the right dog. I did go to meet a dog at Save a dog in Melbourne but she and I just did not click, I was so disappointed but knew there was so many dogs needing a home.

I spotted Molly on petrescue and I knew she had to be mine, I was very persistant and we went for a meet and greet 2 days later and instantly I knew she was the one. We already had Mokha at home so wanted a girl, but there was the most adorable cross breed male in the pen with her and it was all I could do to drag myself away from him.

If we didnt have Mokha I would have taken them both. I can see how hard it would be to go looking at the pound and not take them all home. My husband fell for another dog as well and this dog took quite a while to rehome and I felt awful every time I saw he was still up for adoption until finally some one fell for him. I hope both these dogs have a good life like Molly does.

Molly is the most awesome dog ever. She is by no means perfect but she has the most wonderful temperament and is a delight every day.

We had been looking at getting a cavalier king charles for ages - my mother has wanted one for years, and it seems that everyone in the area aquired one all of a sudden! But we couldn't find any breeders nearby, and didn't really want a puppy. Started looking for rescue ones, and there were none cose by either (surprise surprise, I imagine they get snapped up quick) and then Holly just appeared in the pound!

She is truly a joy, and has been from day one. We were lucky to have found her, and that she came along at the right time! She is very loved and spoiled - but one day, I hope to go back and get the nicest dog, with the ugliest face - there are plenty more of them than there are cavs needing homes.

My shelter dog, Gus, probably belongs in the 'niciest dog, ugly face' catagory although I personally love his over sized ears, long long nose and brindle head and legs! His personality won me over as soon as we met and he leant against me and looked up at me! I was a total goner in a second and I continue to melt when he does this every day! He is a soft gentle pup and apart from being a bit of a barker (even this is much better now) I think he is perfect in every way!

Sweet man that he is, he has the most gentle mouth and is such a sooky la-la. I can't believe how lucky we are to have him!

We have had several poundies cause I am a sucker LOL my first poundie a cocker spaniel cross I picked because she was crying, turns out she had an eye infection. my next 3 poundies all tugged at my heartstrings there was in instant bonding, this has been over a period of the last 24 years mind you(now I am feeling old). We have traveled up to 7 hours to look at a pound dog. Our dogs aren't perfect and come with baggage but they have given us so much joy and have been worth the effort that has to be put into them (as is needed by all dogs not just poundies).

I got Dory via PetRescue, but she was also a bit of a feature on DOL in the Rescue Discussion before I got her (which I found out later).

I had my list of what I wanted in a dog, one of which was a dog that wasn't too big, and wasn't too small and was a bit of a Scruff Mutt. I didn't mind her having any 'issues' as far as things the average person would find a challenge. And then I saw Dory's piccie, couldn't believe she was still available. Even better was when I went to meet her I just knew she was gonna be my new dog.

I think those on DOL that are working in Rescue are a great place to start. Having recently had some contact with SA Dog Rescue, I was really impressed with the way things were co-ordinated, especially when the placement didn't work out. They were very quick to come in and collect him back again.

I don't think I could have found what I was looking for quite so precisely as I did, if I had just gone down to the pound or the AWL or the RSPCA and looked for myself. I was in a house share situation and I needed to be quite precise on what I wanted. Getting a dog that is in a Foster home is the best way to do it. Dory was everything I was told she was, there was no illusions, and I knew who she was and what I was getting. And what I had to work with, which heavily influenced my choice. Plus there was no pressure or guilt if she wasn't what I was looking for.

2 of my dogs were from the pound, I first saw both of them in the dumping pens out the front (3 years apart, not at the same time), I regularly walk past there, as well as often going in to the pound just to have a look.

As deserving as all the dogs in there are I don't fall for every dog, I just know when I see the one. Both my poundies are amazing dogs I have had many people tell me that Stimpy is the ugliest dog they have ever seen, but honestly she is the most loyal dog I have ever met in my life. Both came to me with no background history but had the regular issues that people just couldn't be bothered working on like digging, chewing, pulling clothes off the line and escaping, so they just dumped them instead.

My other dog was from a rescue and he came with MAJOR issues that I was never told about and the rescue knew about, so do be careful and ask LOTS of questions.