He's A Handful

loveisashihtzu

I'm the new owner of a 9 week old male shihtzu and finding a few things he does quite..interesting i guess, i haven't had a pup in 10 years so please go easy on me! :(

I brought him home on sunday night and he seems to get absolutely distraught if he can't be with you 24/7, he cries even when he's right near me wanting to be picked up and screams the house down when i crate him at night time.

I'm quite a soft person and can't help but pick him up when he cries too much but im at the point now where i know i can't keep doing this. I'd love for someone more experienced than myself to help me please, i dont want to ruin this puppy :rofl:

I spoke to his breeder and her advice was put him in the laundry with a bed and food, dont crate him as it's cruel and deal with things that way. Not really sure how that's going to be of any help to be quite honest.

Can anyone help me?

Guest belgian.blue

No advice but DO crate train him, the best thing ever :(

All the best, he will settle down in a week or so and it will get easier.

Hi!!

You must post up pics of your puppy (unofficial rule here on DOL :rofl::shrug: )

As hard as this may sound, I would just ignore him. He is still a baby and doesn't feel settled in, so you have to give him a chance to do that. You babying him isn't helping in adjust into his new environment.

With the crate.. put some toys and treats in there, put the crate where he can see you too.. so he knows you're around. There are a lot of info about how to crate train your pup if you search on DOL ... I know I haven't crate train my 2 properly so I can't really give you any pointers. I was lucky that my 2 like their crates and I only crate them when I really have too (like if we go camping or any outings).. I just wanted to make sure that my 2 are comfortable in a close crate (which they are :D ).

Good luck.

Its still early days, all puppies cry when they first come home, so don't stress its a normal thing. Most pups will cry when you leave them, cry in their crate, cry for you to pick them up. This might last a week, it could last a few months and as bad as you feel, the best thing I have found is to ignore them!!

Search this forum for Crate training tips, there are heaps. I have used it on both my dogs and it really is the best thing I have done for my dogs. Your breeders seems very ignorant to me by telling you this is cruel. There is nothing cruel about it and your dog will end up loving his crate. Obviously your not supposed to leave them in their all day during the day, but for short periods when you can't watch them, or at night to sleep in, the crate is very useful.

How is your toilet training going? How old is your puppy?

It will be a very tiring few months ahead, and at times you may even think, what have I done?! haaha this is normal for alot of people and once you start to get into a routine, it is so so worth it in the end.

Goodluck and give us some photos!

He is 9 weeks old and to be honest his toilet training isn't going so great, whenever i take him outside to do his business i stand out there with him but he just jumps at my legs and cries, he won't go out there :shrug: even now, he's sitting at my feet crying and jumping at my legs!

"..." dont crate him as it's cruel and deal with things that way.

Don't stop crate training. If anyone thinks it's cruel to crate their dog, think of it this way: We have cots for babies so they can't get out, or hurt themselves. Crates serve the same function.

I know it's hard to ignore your puppy, but it is really the solution. Here are some threads of crate training to help get you started:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=crate+training

He is 9 weeks old and to be honest his toilet training isn't going so great, whenever i take him outside to do his business i stand out there with him but he just jumps at my legs and cries, he won't go out there :shrug: even now, he's sitting at my feet crying and jumping at my legs!

Aww :D Is it cold outside? Puppies generally don't like going out in the rain.

Quick edit: Have you heard of SnugglePuppies? I have heard they are great for puppies with anxiety. There is a seller on eBay that will send one to you faster, as he gets them from the US. Here's the link.

Oops- you have fallen into the trap set by that fluff and those eyes :rofl:

Do NOT cuddle/talk/pick him up , unless he is quiet, and has all 4 feet on the ground.

That way- YOU are setting the rules- NOT him.

If he screams for an hour, and you then pick him up/let him out, talk to him.... then next time, he may scream for much longer, knowing you will eventually come .

I have never used a crate- but believe they can be most useful for new pups ---and not at all 'cruel' when done correctly

Which do you consider more stressful to a pup? being locked in the laundry- with no sight of their human.. , or locked in a crate, in close proximity.. ?

I think what you need to do, is realise that , whenever you pay attention to a DEMAND your pup makes- you are teaching him to demand your attention

Training a pup is second nature ..... for the wrong things :rofl: I have trained my dog to be noisy, somewhat pushy, and a bit rough. It was so easy, I did it without thinking!! :shrug:

So- IGNORE.

NO MORE picking him up ..... unless he is lying quietly ...it will happen..... eventually , and once he realises that THEN is the only time he will get your full attention and cuddles- he will settle more and quicker :rofl:

Whilst you may desperately want to cuddle him, remember it's a cunning TRAP :D

toilet training- he needs to be taken out VERY often ...and IGNORED. It is natural he wants to play/& stick with you- everything is strange to him .

OMG... Charlie's sookiness comes from his Shih Tzu side!!! :shrug:

I have a Cav x Shih Tzu.. and he is such a sook, it's unbelievable how sooky he can get and till today he (he is over a year old now) still does cries and whinges. You should hear him cry when he feels like he isn't getting enough attention.. it as though the world is ending and it's the most saddest sound I've ever heard. We ignore him (and I call him Pathetic), once he calms down (and realise no one is paying attention to him) for about 5 minutes.. I call him over and give him a cuddle.

And he is a very confident, secure and happy little fella... seriously, the best thing you can do for you pup is just ignore him. He is learning that if he keeps crying, that's how he is going to get your attention and you have to live with that for about 13+ years.. ? :D (Charlie has my boyfriend and his brother all trained with his crying!)

When you take him outside to go toilet... just walk around the yard. If you're moving, he has to keep moving too... then when he realise that you're not paying attention to him, he will find something else to do.

Thank you all so much, you're so helpful :rofl: i was also wondering what type of toys to buy him? i think he's teething as he's into everything at the moment but ive had a look at the teething bones for small dogs/puppies in pet supply stores and they all look small enough for him to choke on if he tried hard enough! at the moment he only has a small kong, a soft squeaky bone and a fluffy rabbit, im too scared to give him anything smaller at the moment.

Im definantly keeping up with the crate training and ill try my best to ignore him :shrug:

This is my little boy Lj. Doesn't he look oh so innocent :D

b82wjb.jpg

Aww isn't he a cutie! :shrug:

Thank you all so much, you're so helpful :D i was also wondering what type of toys to buy him?

I have spent over $100 on toys for my puppy so far. Stanley has squeaky toys, tug toys, treat dispenser toys, soft toys BUT since he is a big chewer he prefers ripping apart cardboard boxes, toilet rolls and newspaper, playing tug with a sock, chasing around an empty coke bottle, etc. There was a recent thread where everyone had some great ideas of cheap, dispensable dog toys (link).

I also have heard people here give frozen carrots to their puppies when they are teething too. :rofl:

With regards to first question, Tahli never cries if we are upstairs or away from her at any time, I suppose that she got used to it from being at rspca, and used to being left alone. So, don't have any tips there sorry.

With toys, I got her a few squeaky's, tug with ball on the end, rubber bone for teething (though not interested in it at all), tied some long socks together in a few knots (absolutely loves it!!), toilet paper cardboard rolls, a milk carton and it all does her just fine, she goes crazy with them all! And she likes to sneak off with my slippers.

I still need to get a kong and whatever else looks good. About to check some things online as reviewed by other posters on other threads, so many toys out there, I want some more that will keep her busy for long periods.

i think he's teething as he's into everything at the moment

nooooo.. ;)

Pups do not teethe until around 5 months old.

puppies do not have fingers to explore their world- they use mouths!!

I have found you some links- just background info for you, to help understand a bit about why he is doing what you're seeing :laugh: They are all different points of view - but should help you undestand about that puppy trap! :)

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

Not to be picky, but your first link says that puppies begin teething between 14-18 weeks old, which suggests earlier than 5 months. :laugh:

But I do agree that loveisashihtzu's puppy isn't teething yet (in fact should have all 28 baby teeth by now.)

LINK

Not to be picky, but your first link says that puppies begin teething between 14-18 weeks old, which suggests earlier than 5 months. :laugh:

But I do agree that loveisashihtzu's puppy isn't teething yet (in fact should have all 28 baby teeth by now.)

I did say 'around' 5 mths. :) They don't use a calendar .Same as some puppies' eyes open 'around the 12 day old period ' a lot open at 10 days- some open a couple days later....

Persephone, thanks for the links, i found them very helpful.

I have some good news :confused: last night my little boy slept in his crate with very minimal fuss, he cries a little when i pop him in but only lasts maybe 10 min now instead of 2 hours. I'm very pleased with him :confused: he has also been doing his business when we take him outside aswell.

Ignoring him has definitely helped, i could see him turning into a spoilt brat if i kept on fussing him whenever he cried.

It feels so much better to have a much calmer pup, boy it was frustrating before, especially with the ear piercing yelps!

I'll keep at him - thank you! :laugh:

He is 9 weeks old and to be honest his toilet training isn't going so great, whenever i take him outside to do his business i stand out there with him but he just jumps at my legs and cries, he won't go out there :confused: even now, he's sitting at my feet crying and jumping at my legs!

He's so young, lower your expectations :confused:

Also ignore the crying and the screaming, if you pay any attention to it, it will get worse.

I would have him in a crate in my room next to my bed until he is crate trained. I think putting a puppy in a cold bathroom away from it's pack is cruel - you'll be glad when he's crate trained.

It really is early days yet, hang in there and deep breathe....I mean that.

Edited by sas