Tears And Laugher

Dju

Hello everyone :thumbsup: I have been snooping around these forums for several days now and have seen many signatures with the simple quote "Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." (Gene Hill)

I really considered using this quote to persuade my father for money to buy a Vallhund puppy from one of the breeders on this website for my 19th birthday present (before everyone jumps down my throat to tell me that owning a dog is a great responsibility and costs a lot of money, I am fully aware and I do have money saved up to look after it for a good year or so, but it would be nice to be able to use the money I would otherwise use to buy him from the breeder for other things, such as spoiling him rotten :D). My dad is really against the whole idea and while he has money to throw around, he would rather purchase a $50 Kelpie puppy from the local flea market from god knows what kind of backyard breeder because he says it will be less of a loss if the dog dies.......... :) Needless to say, the only sorts of animals he cares about are the ones on his plate. Definitely not going to let him buy me a $50 BB dog, and I will buy my SV with or without his help, but I am no Rockefeller, it would represent a huge chunk of my bank account that could be otherwise spent in ensuring that my dog gets the best start in life I can offer. Nevertheless.

As an only (read: lonely) child, I could not find words to express to him how much happiness could come from owning a dog, for being responsible for another being, to look after them as family, and to have a friend who will never judge you. This poem I found when researching more about Gene Hill really touched me today (bit of an understatement; I shed a tear or two I must admit) and I think I'm going to use the second line to try and communicate to him just how much this act of charity on his behalf will mean to me:

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself.

He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever — in case I need him. And I expect I will — as I always have. He is just my dog.

- Gene Hill, from his book Tears and Laughter

Sorry for the emotional blather at the start of the post :thumbsup: , I'm feeling a bit depressed that he initially said no to me, but hopefully I will be able to convince him as to why his support is so important to me :thumbsup: There is only so much a one can express about years of friendship that a dog can provide, but hopefully this poem can communicate what it means to me and other dog lovers out there.

Just googled the Ten Dog Commandments, brings a tear to the eye and will have to go cuddle my two JRT's

Dog Ten Commandments

Submitted by: craftymom61

Author: Stan Rawlinson

Dog Ten Commandments

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any

separation from you will be painful remember

that before you get me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me- it is crucial to my well

being.

4. Do not be angry at me for long, and do not lock

me up as punishment.

5. You have your work, your entertainment,and your friends.

I only have you.

6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understands your words,

I understand your voice when it is speaking to me.

7. Be aware that how ever you treat me, I will never forget.

8. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could

easily hurt you, but I choose not to bite you because I

love you.

9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative,obstinate,or lazy,

ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I

might not be getting the right food, or I have been out to

long, or my heart is getting to old and weak.

10. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go

with me on difficult journeys. Never say: "I cannot bear to

watch" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything

is easier for me if you are there, even my death.

Remember that I love you.

When the Man waked up he said,

"What is the Wild Dog doing here?"

And the Woman said,

"His name is not Wild Dog any more,

but the First Friend,

because he will be our friend

for always and always and always."

Rudyard Kipling

10. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go

with me on difficult journeys. Never say: "I cannot bear to

watch" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything

is easier for me if you are there, even my death.

Remember that I love you.

This one gets me every time I read it :o It also really humbles me that in a few months time I'm going to be looking after a dog for basically it's entire life... :rofl:

@Ravenau1: Rudyard Kipling's stuff is just beautiful in its simplicity :D