Becoming A Breeder

kchogan

I believe that finding an experienced mentor in one's chosen breed, before venturing into breeding, is really important. I have 2 people who have far, far more experience than I can hope to get in my lifetime and I rely on them for advice. This was not a sudden process - it grew over a few years - and I am very grateful to them for trusting me enough to give me all the help that they have.

Maybe that is the first thing - you have to show an experienced, ethical breeder that you are trustworthy and willing to listen and follow advice.

It is a sign of the times that most folk who show/breed are feeling wary of people coming along saying they want to breed, however, having said that, I've been somewhat taken aback, at shows, by the reaction from many towards the public asking questions. I think anyone with any knowledge needs to educate at every opportunity.

Good Luck!

I second this. :o As a new breeder in Cavaliers having great support from mentors with decades of experience behind them is worth its weight in gold. There is so much to learn, books & DVD's are great but they can't cover every aspect of breeding and having those faithful trusted ears to listen and point you in the right direction is very important.

Like yourself i owned cavaliers for many years prior and when deciding to start out on my own and become a registered breeder i found it is really hard. Lots of challenges, heart aches and disappointments. Tears will be shead, bank accounts will be empty. I've made mistakes, big ones...but it is a learning process and that extra support pays off like with with my first litter as there were complications and the good thing is there is people that will support you and help you. Be focused, listen and although there is those who throw you negative feedback that is part of dog breeding and you learn to either justify or dimiss those remarks.

Feel free to PM to chat.

I believe that finding an experienced mentor in one's chosen breed, before venturing into breeding, is really important. I have 2 people who have far, far more experience than I can hope to get in my lifetime and I rely on them for advice. This was not a sudden process - it grew over a few years - and I am very grateful to them for trusting me enough to give me all the help that they have.

Maybe that is the first thing - you have to show an experienced, ethical breeder that you are trustworthy and willing to listen and follow advice.

It is a sign of the times that most folk who show/breed are feeling wary of people coming along saying they want to breed, however, having said that, I've been somewhat taken aback, at shows, by the reaction from many towards the public asking questions. I think anyone with any knowledge needs to educate at every opportunity.

Good Luck!

I second this. :laugh: As a new breeder in Cavaliers having great support from mentors with decades of experience behind them is worth its weight in gold. There is so much to learn, books & DVD's are great but they can't cover every aspect of breeding and having those faithful trusted ears to listen and point you in the right direction is very important.

Like yourself i owned cavaliers for many years prior and when deciding to start out on my own and become a registered breeder i found it is really hard. Lots of challenges, heart aches and disappointments. Tears will be shead, bank accounts will be empty. I've made mistakes, big ones...but it is a learning process and that extra support pays off like with with my first litter as there were complications and the good thing is there is people that will support you and help you. Be focused, listen and although there is those who throw you negative feedback that is part of dog breeding and you learn to either justify or dimiss those remarks.

Feel free to PM to chat.

So how does anyone - as a new kid - know that the mentor is a good mentor or not?

So how does anyone - as a new kid - know that the mentor is a good mentor or not?

Unless you're under 21, you might be new to dog breeding but you're not new to life.

I agree there is a risk of ending up with someone who will steer you down the wrong path, but the virtues most of us were taught at home and at school should kick in at that point. If your mentor is lying about health issues, encouraging you to surgically alter your dogs or dye them, bitching up hill and down dale about everyone else in the breed etc, well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out you should look elsewhere for guidance.

Sure, sometimes a mentor has a blind spot about something, or does something in the grey area, but I don't think that's a reason not to learn from them. I think it's worth having more than one sounding board. Particularly if they disagree. That way you get experienced advice and you have to develop your own view.

I also think there is a difference between an adult having an adult mentor, and an apprentice type situation. I would steer clear of arrangements where you are expected to sit adoringly at someone's feet and just swallow everything you are told. That's far more risky than a mutually respectful relationship between adults. I also think there is no substitute for up to date science, and that hitting the books is also necessary.

Thats a good question.

From my perspective : Knowledge and Experience, proven accomplishments and someone that is well respected in the breeder community for high level of interaction in the dog breed. Someone that you are comfortable talking to and can trust. But there is more to being a mentor, it comes with the willingness to help others for no personal gain, able to give you time and give constructive criticism but also positive feedback.

I found several people were willing to share opinions but the expertise of these comments were far beond correct. So the idea is to research, get yourself out in the show community and meet the breeders in person and ask lots of questions.