Dogs And Grapes

sandgrubber

I did a search when my 2 horrible dogs got into 400 grams of dark chocolate packed with sultanas and came across this http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...amp;hl=sultanas The vet was more concerned about the chocolate but I was glad they went for an expensive chuck up!!!! (after hours of course)

Seems like no one knows why Grapes are meant to be bad huh?

And that's the rub. We know why chocolate is a no-no and we know the effect that onions can have. Grapes are a different ballgame. Truth is after a lifetime of grape (and macadamia nut and avocado) eating dogs I am yet to be personally convinced on this one.

I would like to know for starters if there are any recorded cases of grape toxicity ourside of the US. Anyone got any verified case histories?

And that's the rub. We know why chocolate is a no-no and we know the effect that onions can have. Grapes are a different ballgame. Truth is after a lifetime of grape (and macadamia nut and avocado) eating dogs I am yet to be personally convinced on this one.

I would like to know for starters if there are any recorded cases of grape toxicity ourside of the US. Anyone got any verified case histories?

I don't know if there have been any case reports of raisin toxicosis published in non-American peer reviewed journals. But there was a case report describing two incidents of raisin & grape must poisoning in NZ published in a Gribbles Veterinary Pathology newsletter a few years back.

I have never talked to a vet who has seen grape poisoning (as opposed to raisin or grape must poisoning), and imagine most dogs would need to eat an enormous quantity of raw grapes to show signs?

I personally would imagine that the odd grape or raisin would not be an issue for the vast majority of dogs, just like most dogs can eat the occasional piece of chocolate and get away with it just fine. But that's different to saying that chocolate (or raisins) are safe for dogs.

Edited by Staranais

If the toxin is unknown and there are so few reported cases of grape poisoning, how are the renal symptoms and the grapes linked?

Slightly off-topic, a previous poster mentioned passionfruit - are they too, supposed to be toxic? In early puppyhood, James always had a ball batting them around and sucking on them - is it a problem if he gets into the seeds?

Do you mean, how do we know that raisins can cause renal failure? Basically, when a dog comes in with acute kidney failure, it's got to be caused by something. Kidneys don't up and die all of a sudden for no reason. If you've ruled out all the other common causes (usually certain toxins or infectious diseases), and the owner mentions the dog pigged out on raisins or grape pulp a few hours before, that's strong cause for suspicion that the raisins had something to do with it.

Some people have suggested it's something on the grapes (some type of mould, some type of pesticide, perhaps?) and not the grapes themselves, & I don't think anyone really knows if that's true yet.

I've found a good article about it here, with references to 5 case reports from the UK and USA, you have to register to read but it's free to register:

http://vetlearn.com/ArticleDetails/tabid/1...84/Default.aspx

No idea about passionfruit.