Pet Insurance - Again!

Bonnie Pup

From what I understand, with most (or all?) of the insurance companies, any condition that shows up during the waiting period may be excluded. Even if it's something you would think wouldn't be re-occuring. How long it's excluded for depends on the company.

If your vet finds something during the check or when doing the cruciate ligament form, be prepared to never be insured for it or for any 'related condition' (which can be interpreted whichever way suits the company, including things you wouldn't normally think are related.)

Don't get me wrong, I think insuring your dog as soon as you get it with the insurance company you want to stay with is a really good idea. If I ever get a puppy I think I'll be doing that too. I think it's one of the best ways to do it, as your puppy 'shouldn't' have any pre existing conditions they can exclude (unless there has been something picked up by a vet before you got the puppy, or if something shows up before the waiting period is over.) But I'm no expert and you need to ask a lot of questions of the insurance company before you sign up, to make sure you understand it.

I'm very disillusioned with insurance companies at the moment. I think you should ask as many questions as you need to and do it in writing, and keep it, so you have proof of what you were told.

When selecting an insurer, go for the one you want to stay with, because once your dog is treated for ANYTHING it's very likely you'll never be able to be covered for it if you change insurers. Even if you ASK your vet about something and the vet notes it, you may have problems getting cover for it if this is done during the waiting period, or you change insurers.

I hope other people have advice for you too, I'm just going by what I've learned, and as I said I'm very disillusioned with pet insurance at the moment.

Sorry to Hi-jack :o

I'm picking up my new addition in the morning and I am going with pet insurance

( I can't insure until tomorrow as he will be exactly 8 weeks)

My insurance policy wouldn't or shouldn't have any exclusions as I have not seeked treatment for

any condition or illness?

The statement of not being covered for anything you have seen your vet about worries me.. what about the

crutial ligament form that needs to be signed off from your vet?

and the once over I always like to get for peace of mind when bringing a new pup home?

Edited by Bonnie Pup

I don't really trust any insurance agencies. After what they were all trying to do here in Vic after the freak hail storm that damaged many (and my) cars I know that they will try to wangle out of anything or try to do it as cheaply as possible. I feel I only really have my car insured against theft or being written off (touch wood) even though I have full comp.

I took out Pet Insurance for one of my guys at 5yrs knowing that if he came up with IMHA before hand, which is common in our breed, that they would cover none of that into the future and probably no complications to do with it either. He also had a questionable UTI at 8 weeks so I doubt they would cover anything to do with that either into the future- it's the risk you take. :o

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I don't really trust any insurance agencies. After what they were all trying to do here in Vic after the freak hail storm that damaged many (and my) cars I know that they will try to wangle out of anything or try to do it as cheaply as possible. I feel I only really have my car insured against theft or being written off (touch wood) even though I have full comp.

I took out Pet Insurance for one of my guys at 5yrs knowing that if he came up with IMHA before hand, which is common in our breed, that they would cover none of that into the future and probably no complications to do with it either. He also had a questionable UTI at 8 weeks so I doubt they would cover anything to do with that either into the future- it's the risk you take. :o

Staff'n'Toller did they write on the certificate of insurance that UTIs are an exclusion?

Staff'n'Toller did they write on the certificate of insurance that UTIs are an exclusion?

No, I advised them when applying, but there is nothing on the certificate. I have not made a claim yet so when I do they will ask for the full history and I expect they will be noting it properly then.

I do think you should seek legal or ombudsman advice on your particular problem though, I'm not sure we can help you at all.

I have :o I'm just interested in others' experiences because I was told that all exclusions should be listed on the certificate of insurance. Finding that some companies don't do that, and that they come up with exclusions as they go along, without informing the policy holder at the commencement of the policy what the exclusions are for, has been a bit of a surprise.

Edited by Bonnie Pup

I have :eek: I'm just interested in others' experiences because I was told that all exclusions should be listed on the certificate of insurance. Finding that some companies don't do that, and that they come up with exclusions as they go along, without informing the policy holder at the commencement of the policy what the exclusions are for, has been a bit of a surprise.

This is what makes me hate pet insurance companies :o

I am with Prosure. Top company!

No exclusions but I insured Bella at 8 weeks of age.

They have so far paid for $150 towards her spay, a visit fand medication for an upper respiratory chect infection and I am just about to claim for a staph infection and vaginal discharge. So far, I have had no problems and they have paid within 2 weeks of me sending the form.

I pay just under $44 a month. Bargain.

Edited by kazads

I think really the only way to go with pet insurance is as Kazads did, insure a puppy straight away from 8 weeks of age, as soon as you bring them home. Unless your adult dog has absolutely no "vet history" at all, apart from vaccinations and the like, there are just too many things an insurance company can refuse to cover because of past medical history or health issues. Almost the only way to be sure they're covered for just about everything is to insure them right from the start - before there's a chance for them to get ill or have an accident!!

I think the problem is when there are no exclusions listed on the policy document even though the company has put exclusions on the policy. There's no way for the person to know that there are exclusions and what they are.

I think really the only way to go with pet insurance is as Kazads did, insure a puppy straight away from 8 weeks of age, as soon as you bring them home. Unless your adult dog has absolutely no "vet history" at all, apart from vaccinations and the like, there are just too many things an insurance company can refuse to cover because of past medical history or health issues. Almost the only way to be sure they're covered for just about everything is to insure them right from the start - before there's a chance for them to get ill or have an accident!!

I agree. Otherwise if a vet even looks at them, be prepared for exclusions.

Does anyone know how this works with rescue dogs, where there's no known history?

Good question!

Our girl is a rescue - she ended up in a dog's home here in Perth (so had obviously had at least one owner prior to that!), was adopted from there by a woman who decided 8 months later to move back to Sydney, so that's when my OH bought her and we have absolutely no idea of her previous medical history. When we insured her, the company asked whether she'd had any previous veterinary treatment, but the only thing since we had her was a couple of grass seed abscesses. They of course ask for the vet's contact details so they can obtain a treatment history for your dog, but they never asked how long we had owned her or anything like that.

I would be speaking to the ombudsman/consumer help agency If you can't get a straight answer from the insurance company.

I wonder how they even check or police the dogs vet history.. I mean I have been to two vets on varying occasions but have only listed my main vet on the insurance policy.. I signed up with medibank private a few days ago.

I would be speaking to the ombudsman/consumer help agency If you can't get a straight answer from the insurance company.

I wonder how they even check or police the dogs vet history.. I mean I have been to two vets on varying occasions but have only listed my main vet on the insurance policy.. I signed up with medibank private a few days ago.

When you make a claim you will be asked if your dog has been seen by any other vets/clinics, so as you have seen more than one vet both would be contacted and asked to provide a full history.