Yearly Vaccination

malsrock

Nobivac manufacture a vaccine with a registered 3 year duration of immunity (DOI), as do Fort Dodge (Durammune Adult C3).

Our practice started using the 3 year protocol (with 3 yo DOI vaccines) almost 3 years ago, I think we have the 'anniversary' at the end of this year. We still vaccinate annual against parainfluenza and bordatella, and in our specific area we also vaccinate against leptospirosis and coronavirus - the decision to vaccinate against the last two is based on the fact that we have diagnosed 2-3 cases of leptospirosis in the last 5 years and in our immediate area there is a decent population of rats near creeks (and a certain % of those have been tested by the health dept to carry leptospirosis). It is NOT just to give everything we can. I inform every client of what we are vaccinating against at every appointment, plenty of opportunity to voice concerns and in some cases, elect not to give some components. We suspend vaccinations and titre test individuals with immune mediated diseases (or on request for any other animal). We haven't moved to a 3 year protocol for cats at this point (but debate it every time we have a vet meeting) but we have modified our protocol to reduce the vaccination components for 'low risk' cats and increase for 'at risk cats' (to include FIV / FeLV testing and vaccinations).

I find that even when I am discussing the vaccinations, most owners just give me a blank look and say they are here for injections because they got a reminder and they want their dog to have a check up. That suggests to me that any practice could change their protocols and it probably wouldn't have a great impact on their turnover unless there is a lack of other good reasons for clients to go there! We work hard on good communication and we have this year been awarded as an AVA Practice of Excellence.

Edited by Rappie

I vacc mine yearly as I said before due to the extremely high parvo in this area.

Even fully vaccinated dogs in my area get parvo in summer, not just pups or oldies (we have a three month grace which we do not get parvo roughly every year, and thats only the colder months). I'm not taking risks with my dogs.... I know there is still a chance they'll get it, but I'm arming them the best I can.

Everyone is different, I do what I think is right, others might not agree with what I do, but I may not agree with what they do.

Edited by Everythings Shiny