Flood Threat

oakway

I would try everything humanly possible to get all my animals out with me, but if it came down to no other choice, and the scenario was there was no way to take them with me, but if you stay here you will die, then I would have them humanely euthanased (neighbour is a skilled rifleman) & leave with my family. I love my animals with all my heart, but my daughter cannot grow up without a mother. How would Daddy explain that Mummy chose to leave her behind on purpose??? At least I would be able to make the choice of a quick passing surrounded by those they love, vs. dying terrified & alone, and a horrible death.

Obviously this is if staying behind with the animals would lead to inevitable death. If they will inevitbaly die anyway, I would make the choice of "kinder" death for them.

No flaming please.....

Edited by Willow

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try everything humanly possible to get all my animals out with me, but if it came down to no other choice, and the scenario was there was no way to take them with me, but if you stay here you will die, then I would have them humanely euthanased (neighbour is a skilled rifleman) & leave with my family. I love my animals with all my heart, but my daughter cannot grow up without a mother. How would Daddy explain that Mummy chose to leave her behind on purpose??? At least I would be able to make the choice of a quick passing surrounded by those they love, vs. dying terrified & alone, and a horrible death.

Obviously this is if staying behind with the animals would lead to inevitable death. If they will inevitbaly die anyway, I would make the choice of "kinder" death for them.

No flaming please.....

Yes, it would be both sensible and kind. No flaming from me either.

I don't know if I could bring myself to euth my own dog, though. Even if I understand it was the best choice for her, I simply don't think I could actually do it. PTS other dogs is hard enough.

We flooded when we lived in the NT in 2006. We were lucky that we had a friend on the dry side of town happy to take us in. He already had 2 dogs of his own, so they were tied around the front of his house. We had our big girl Sophie and Buster tied around the side of the house so we didn't have to deal with intro's etc because none of the dogs were overly lovey and it was a stressful time.

We also had puppy Mac so we kept her inside with us, along with the JRT another guy had that was staying with him for the flood aswell and our cat that we kept locked in the bedroom, we had 2 rabbits in seperate hutches that we took with us and another woman we had staying aswell had her budgie.

Not easy, but they were the first thing we packed up. We had a bag of clothes each and the computer in the car but we felt awful we couldn't take the fish from the back pond.

One thing that worries me now is that if we have an emergency now we have the horses to take care of aswell.

Yea thats a concern, probably not practical to cram them into a backpack or the back seat of the car.

We did know a woman that was crazy about her QH's, in the big flood in '98 her husband came home to find she had moved as many as she could to higher ground and bought the rest upstairs in the house.

Edited by busterlove