Flood Threat

oakway

I was just reading on another dog list where the flood threat was great and the persons in authority refused to take the ladies dogs and cat.

I have been been led to believe that the dogs were Toys. Group 1.

She stayed.

So would I.

What would you do ?.

Edited by oakway

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard question.

I'd probably leave the cats to fend for themselves (big meanie, I know!) Although in some ways, I figure they'd have a better chance at home with a big bowl of cat food & free access to come & go - compared to taking them to a strange stressful place where if (when) they managed to get out of the carry cage, they'd probably bolt & be toast.

But the dog would be coming with me, or I wouldn't be going. :eek:

Just talking about this with OH. I would make sure my kids were taken to safety but there is no way I could leave my dogs.

We have discussed this in regards to bushfires etc and I have always said that if we go the dogs go with us, no matter how squished it would be with the 4 of us and 5 dogs in the car!

Definitely the dogs come too or I don't go BUT I would probably get out before it was too late if there were any warnings and before the need to be rescued.

We used to live in Darwin and with the 3 serious cyclone warnings we got in 9 years... we were packed and ready to go "with the kids & the animals"

I'd stay. I recall watching with horror the film of people in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina not being allowed to take their pets with them. I couldn't live with myself. The problem with dogs fending for themselves is that most of them can't. My two aren't that great at getting their dinner out of the cupboard.

Edited by Sheridan

Flood? I'd stay if I wasn't allowed to take the dogs... I can swim and so can they...

Fire? The dogs are coming with me - no ifs or buts.

I can replace the house and contents... but can't replace my furkids... they go where I go if there's an evacuation.

T.

I have to say if there was any way to take the pets I would - if not, they can fend for themselves. In my opinion, when you become a parent you have a responsibility to keep yourself alive.

Yes, I might feel differently if I had kids & had to choose between leaving the dog, and staying & putting the kids in serious danger (or leaving them in the care of total strangers - I bet a lot of kids got abused in those stadiums post Katrina). I can understand someone would choose the kids over the dog, although you'd be absolutely gutted to have to do so.

What a miserable idea! :)

I'm glad I dont live in one of these areas so the situation probably won't eventuate but if it did leaving my dogs would be the last resort.

I wonder what the situation was?was there time ,room,others in danger?

If there was a chance of putting others at risk you can understand a hard decision has to be made.

If they can see you would be safe staying then the choice is yours,could you imagine the guilt if the rescuers took time to rescue a dog and people drowned as a result?

I hope none of you are put in this situation,and if you are in an area where it could happen why not plan for the future,don't wait till it happens.

Talk to the SES look for a kennel in a high location if you dont have other options,there was a fairly advanced warning of these floods but if you are new to an area it limits the time to plan.

To anyone in the flood areas I hope you stay safe.

I would stay if I couldn't take my dogs with me in a flood situation. I had to rescue my chooks a couple of years ago when we had floods i brought them inside into the bathroom I had mum and bubs in a box on a hot water bottle after we found them soaked, man did my bathroom pong after that LOL.

I grew up in a flood-prone area and I would stay. If you are able-bodied and well prepared, it is feasible (depending on your location and flood height obviously). Unfortunately not everyone can do this...my grandmother wouldn't be able to stay in her place but luckily a younger neighbour has offered to take her dog if they ever start evacuating.

Bushfires are a different kettle of fish and I would leave early with the dog.