Mia The Beagle

SeeGee

Hi team

Mia is nearly one, so still kinda a puppy.

She has HD, and was a born at the RSPCA after her mum being seized at a puppy mill.

We use VAN and Joint Guard, and a flaxseed supplement, and Ester C to assist with her HD.

She has started growling and snapping when we cuddle. Charlie (other beagle) can be cuddled and snuggled to his hearts content, but when Mia comes in for a cuddle, quite often she will growl and then snap at us - she doesnt like being handled at all.

I guess some dogs just don't like being handled? She is more agressive of the 2, i am concerned though that she may be in pain when we touch her in certain ways?

She can run and play with Charlie though.....

Just looking for thoughts/opinions.

We are going to the Vet for her next lot of shots in a couple of months - wondering if I should schedule an earlier appointment?

Thanks

Jacqui

Sounds as if some Xrays done by someone expert in HD may be a good idea . I will just suggest no cuddles - reward her when she does something correctly - pat her, scratch her- but ignore her if she comes looking . perhaps put her in a sit, then pat her? That way she is not missing out - but she also does NOT have an opportunity to snap/growl!!

Yes you are right, ive been thinking that the only assurance we have that she has HD is that is what the vet at the RSPCA has told us. XRAYS probably are something to look into. I would hate to think she is in more pain that we are not aware of :)

Its more me than her. I love cuddling her and it was a great shock to be snapped at so aggressivly by her. I walked away and cried for a few mins actually lol - what a nerd I am!

LOL! :) Well.... it happens :laugh:

maybe phone them and ask ? If no joy- then book her in to what was suggested , and see what proper Xrays find . THEN- you will know what you are dealing with, at least .

Contacting the trainer is a very good idea!!

looking forward to reading updates :laugh:

So did she have Xrays at the RSPCA when a puppy ? Or how did they diagnose HD?

:laugh::(:)

Um i have no xrays....its just written on the paperwork that we got when we picked her up.....

I feel really f*&king stupid now :laugh::)

AND they did make a point of saying to us that she has it, but I just didnt think to ask for xrays. I just took their word.....I was so excited to take her home...

I so silly.

Does she have any other signs of discomfort eg. trouble getting up, reluctant to go up and down stairs, limping, doens't like being touched in the hip/back end area?

A friend also got a puppy from the RSCPA who was diagnosed with HD about 6 months later, she can't tolerate anyone manipulating the hindlimb area and will become aggressive if any tries to do so. But is not aggressive otherwise.