How Early Can You Tell...

nightgrace6

I guess, because "show" and "pet" are at different prices I was wondering how early she will be able to tell me (if they have a brown bitch in the litter at all) whether it is a show or pet dog. Not just because of the price but out of general curiosity I would like to know early. How, also, do I know whether a breeder is selling me a "show" dog at all and not just charging me more for a "pet" dog, this is what I mean by the trust?

I've never understood the whole 2 different prices thing, and I'm pretty certain at this stage, unless someone convinces me otherwise, that I will sell all future WSSD puppies at the same price (unless it's under a partnership agreement or something.) I figure that regardless of pet or show, the same amount of thought & care is put into each puppy, they all cost the same to raise, feed, worm, vacc, and only a matter of a few dollars difference between main & limited rego.

Well look at it from this angle then.

The breeder spends many years of dedication,showing, feeding, rearing, importing quality dogs and making sure that the best possible dogs are bred from. When someone buys a show prospect they are making an investment in all that time and effort someone else has put into the breeding of their dog. Thus a $1,500-$2,000 is a good investment on a quality, well bred dog bred from someone elses blood sweat and tears. The pet buyer on the other hand wants would include a sound, healthy, well tempremented dog. They don't want to have spend $2,000 on a dog because, and I've read many pet buyers say on this forum all the time, they are buying a pet and don't want to breed or show. Thus the breeder LOWERS the price for the pet buyer to say around $500-$800 and get a limited registered dog.

IMO they are getting a bargain, especially since alot of show quality dogs DO go to pet homes and a good home is usually preferred regardless.

The breeder spends many years of dedication,showing, feeding, rearing, importing quality dogs and making sure that the best possible dogs are bred from. When someone buys a show prospect they are making an investment in all that time and effort someone else has put into the breeding of their dog. Thus a $1,500-$2,000 is a good investment on a quality, well bred dog bred from someone elses blood sweat and tears. The pet buyer on the other hand wants would include a sound, healthy, well tempremented dog. They don't want to have spend $2,000 on a dog because, and I've read many pet buyers say on this forum all the time, they are buying a pet and don't want to breed or show. Thus the breeder LOWERS the price for the pet buyer to say around $500-$800 and get a limited registered dog.

IMO they are getting a bargain, especially since alot of show quality dogs DO go to pet homes and a good home is usually preferred regardless.

My Whippet show prospect cost $800. Breed prices vary a fair bit and not every breeder sells show and pet pups for different prices.

My Whippet show prospect cost $800. Breed prices vary a fair bit and not every breeder sells show and pet pups for different prices.

I wasn't talking about my own breed.

Hi all!

I was just wondering how early in a puppies life, you can tell whether it is the "pick of the litter" or "show quality"?

It really does depend on the breed. There are some breeds that mature much quicker than others and there are features like correct final coat colour that are not evident for some months. Seek out information on the internet on the breed you have selected - go to the breed club if there is one, speak to people who know the breed.

Yes, temperament is an important issue, as is conformation, but with some breeds it is difficult to assess the whole picture until the dog has started maturing - 9 months maybe.

I realise that. :confused: I just wanted to convey the fact that not all "show dogs" are necessarily going to cost thousands.

Edited by poodlefan

I guess, because "show" and "pet" are at different prices I was wondering how early she will be able to tell me (if they have a brown bitch in the litter at all) whether it is a show or pet dog. Not just because of the price but out of general curiosity I would like to know early. How, also, do I know whether a breeder is selling me a "show" dog at all and not just charging me more for a "pet" dog, this is what I mean by the trust?

I've never understood the whole 2 different prices thing, and I'm pretty certain at this stage, unless someone convinces me otherwise, that I will sell all future WSSD puppies at the same price (unless it's under a partnership agreement or something.) I figure that regardless of pet or show, the same amount of thought & care is put into each puppy, they all cost the same to raise, feed, worm, vacc, and only a matter of a few dollars difference between main & limited rego.

Well look at it from this angle then.

Your'e quite right and doesn't matter what the breed.

I realise that. :confused: I just wanted to convey the fact that not all "show dogs" are necessarily going to cost thousands.

Yes I also agree with that. Most genuine breeder I find are fair in their pricing.

thanks all.

IMO the breeder sells her "pet home" puppies at a very fair/far lower then many others that sell pet or show for thousands. I think this is a breed that is exploited hugely and I have seen on DOL that some are advertising pet or show home for $5000. Ridiculous. My breeders "show prospects" are shown for less then other people try and sell their dogs of this breed for.

I have some decisions to make, the bitch is due on November 3, so I will do a little more research on keeping a bitch "intact" and speak to the breeder. thank you for all your help.

thanks all.

IMO the breeder sells her "pet home" puppies at a very fair/far lower then many others that sell pet or show for thousands. I think this is a breed that is exploited hugely and I have seen on DOL that some are advertising pet or show home for $5000. Ridiculous. My breeders "show prospects" are shown for less then other people try and sell their dogs of this breed for.

I have some decisions to make, the bitch is due on November 3, so I will do a little more research on keeping a bitch "intact" and speak to the breeder. thank you for all your help.

$5,000!!! :confused:

What breed is this nightgrace or would you rather not say?