European Vs Asian Dogs - Single Vs Double Estrous Cycle

MalteseLuna

Can anyone help me out - I was wondering about whether any Asian ancient dog breeds i.e Shar Pei, Akita, Shiba In, Chow Chow, Korean Jindo, Kintamani dog etc have a single annual estrous cycle compared to the norm in most 'modern/European' dogs which have two?

I know that Basenji only have a single estrous but couldn't name any others. :)

Yup - but besides dingoes, New guinea singing dogs, Carolina dogs, Basenji (which are all 'ancient' and of Asian descent)... are there any modern European dogs that have a single annual season?

Is it only ancient Asian breeds that have a single annual season? And which are the breeds that only have a single annual season?

Carolina dogs have three in a year, I think.

I don't know of any European breeds that have a single season. I think the oldest breeds in that part of the world apart from Carolina Dogs are the laikas and husky types. AFAIK none have a single annual season. Elkhounds (Swedish and Norwegian) are very old breeds and close to their wolf origins, but I think think they have two.

I don't think it is breed specific. You may find bitches within the same breed that have different cycles.

We had an Airedale terrier bitch in the past, and she was coming into oestrus every 9 months. Her mother had it once a year. Other bitches form the same litter varied between twice and once a year. I believe one had it like 8-9 months as well.