Very Nervous Dog When People Enter The Home

I rescued a little old shihtzu cross a couple of years ago, she was actually blind and I never intended to rehome her but then a wonderful lady came along and she was just what she wanted.

A few months ago, this lady had an explosion in her kitchen and had to call the fire brigade so the dog had 2 frights - one from the loud bang and then the next from the hordes of firemen coming through the house. SHe's never been the same.

Now, even when people she knows very well come into the house, she just sits and barks. The lady has tried everything, putting her outside, putting her in the bedroom but she barks constantly and will not stop until whoever it is has left.

She is not a big eater and cannot be made to make friends with food or distracted etc.

It's gotten to the point where the lady's family won't come round any more. She's very upset about it and doesn't feel she can go on.

I've had difficult dogs myself and had one a bit like this for 2 years but she was OK with some people after a while, usually through feeding treats.

ANy suggestions please because I fear she will end up feeling like she will have to put her to sleep possibly as she's having trouble coping.

She's been to the vet and they were no help. With the Chinese herbs I've used on my other dog, one of the issues would be getting her to eat them, she's not your average dog where food's concerned.

The lady spent $3,000 on her 3 mths ago after a horrific dog attack that fractured the poor little mite's leg. Council are still searching for the culprit.

She really loves her no doubt but it is getting her down.