Not Handling A New Dog Well

mongo1

I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice. My friend has asked me to look after her young dog for her for a while as she is unwell, which i have agreed to. I got the young fella home last night and introduced him to my two, I have a 5 yr old Jack Rusell and a 2 yr old Border Collie. Both of them seemed somewhat unhappy about the new introduction and whilst the JR didn't like it he put up with it and got over it pretty quickly, however my BC will not leave my side and when the other dog is near his tail stiffens and he will not look at him, he has also growled at the other dog.

I've never had a problem with my boys out in public they are generally very friendly dogs however on their own turf things seem a bit different, has anyone go any ideas of what I can do to fix the situation. I am currently not leaving the three of them together in case the situation escalates. I'm going to take them for a walk tonight and see how they go off their home turf together.

It's fairly early days so things could settle down. Both dogs are probably not used to living with another dog and need time to discover the boundaries and pecking order and so forth.

It's a good idea to just have them together supervised until things settle down.

Generaly you want to have dogs meet each other not on their own territory, take them for a walk together and then take them home.

Are all the dogs desexed?

Try not to step in a molly coddle the situation as it can make it worse but certainly correct any bad behaviour.

If it doesn't work out you'll have to return the dog to your friend.

Neutral territory is often a good idea but be careful of the proximity when walking. Your boys may resent the intruder being close to you. Bear in mind though that if it's your dogs regulary walking trail it's not really 'neutral'...they own it!

Looking after someone elses dog can be a tricky situation. I baby sat a work collegue of my ex husband two dogs a some years ago. He was an American working here and returned home for 6 months. My ex voluntered me to look after them (no wonder he's my ex! :cry: ) Actually I really loved having them, and I too felt they would be happier with us than in a kennel for so long. I had three middle to elderly dogs, all small breeds at the time and his two were a beautifully behaved Shetland Sheepdog of about 4 years old and a nightmare 15 months old Kelpie/Border Collie. It took a little while for my crew to understand that there place in the sun was not under threat. While there were no fights but mt my dogs did have their hackles up a few times in the first week. Incidently I did some training with the young dog and the owner couldn't believe what a great fellow he was 6 months later..well dah?

More recently I looked after a GAP greyhound for a week while my friends went on holiday. He and my 4 year old GSD meet at a walking trail first and then got to know each other so after the walk, the Greyhound then came over for a cuppa and..... okay we had the coffee the dogs drank water! When the greyhound stayed over he really wasn't interested in doing much but sleeping so the GSD didn't seem to resent his presence. Not so with my daughters boyfriends Staffy/mastiff X who makes a fuss of us and the Shepherd got very jealous and attacked him :rofl: We have had to keep the two apart for now. I keep telling my daughter they should walk the two of them but she's busy with Year 12, so maybe after the November exams.

Just take it slow and reassure your dogs but remember that the visitor may be feeling a bit lost too.

Edited by LizT

Thanks for the replies. All the dogs are desexed.

I will take them for a walk in non regular territory to help the new lad feel more at home, I'm just so suprised at my BC reaction he's just about sitting on top of me to make sure I haven't forgotten he is number one so may need to start instilling a bit more control to the whole situation.

Thanks for the replies. All the dogs are desexed.

I will take them for a walk in non regular territory to help the new lad feel more at home, I'm just so suprised at my BC reaction he's just about sitting on top of me to make sure I haven't forgotten he is number one so may need to start instilling a bit more control to the whole situation.

Don't let him do that :cry:

It's fairly early days so things could settle down. Both dogs are probably not used to living with another dog and need time to discover the boundaries and pecking order and so forth.

It's a good idea to just have them together supervised until things settle down.

Generaly you want to have dogs meet each other not on their own territory, take them for a walk together and then take them home.

Are all the dogs desexed?

Try not to step in a molly coddle the situation as it can make it worse but certainly correct any bad behaviour.

If it doesn't work out you'll have to return the dog to your friend.

Yes, couldn't have put it better myself - :cry::rofl: .

Early days yet, try not to worry or your boys will pick up on it and equate the new dog with your worry and put their own incorrect connotations on it.