Please Help With Gsd Aggression.

RockDog

Last time I checked, a puppy "learning to be tough" and a "hardened aggressor" bite remarkably similarly. In recent weeks there have been one of two people dispensing "correct 'em hard' advice about dealing with aggresson on this forum with apparent disregard to the potential danger that may place a handler in.

Please stop it. No professional worth their salt would do it. A dog's behavior cannot be explained by breed alone and in my opinion what you are doing is downright dangerous.

As I posted, I have seen a GSD turn on its handler when checked off a dog. Not every dog will tolerate being jerked around and your advice could get someone seriously hurt. :D

PF :laugh::crazy:

Just to clarify - I don't doubt for a moment that there is a time and a place for correcting some forms of aggression. But to airily recommend "stringing up" and "airblocking" a dog without assessing the dog, the owner and the reasons for the aggression AND explaining and demonstrating is downright irresponsible IMO.

This is serious behaviour that calls for a personal consult and practical instruction how to manage it. What it doesn't need is a pissingcontest about how much experience a forum poster may or may not have with the breed in question and how THEY might or might not handle the dog.

I'm sure there are GSDs out there who will transfer aggression onto the handler in the right circumstances. They're dogs after all.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify - I don't doubt for a moment that there is a time and a place for correcting some forms of aggression. But to airily recommend "stringing up" and "airblocking" a dog without assessing the dog, the owner and the reasons for the aggression AND explaining and demonstrating is downright irresponsible IMO.

This is serious behaviour that calls for a personal consult and practical instruction how to manage it. What it doesn't need is a pissingcontest about how much experience a forum poster may or may not have with the breed in question and how THEY might or might not handle the dog.

I'm sure there are GSDs out there who will transfer aggression onto the handler in the right circumstances. They're dogs after all.

I totally agree again - it is not about whether corrections should or shouldn't be used, but the fact it is not safe to recommend any real method of dealing with this dog's aggression without seeing it. Despite what anyone may infer, no one here knows what method would be best for this dog without seeing it. No one here is a magician, no one can diagnose an aggression problem over the internet without even seeing the dog first.

'lovemesideways' date='19th Sep 2010 - 06:27 PM' post='4823068']

Lovemesideways,

After 20 years experience owning, training and handling dogs of genetic aggression and successfully rehabilitating dogs of this nature into worthy pets, you do tend to learn something about the behaviour and how to manage it through practical experience which is one of my specialty interests. My backyard has a working line GSD and Belgian Malinois as part of the scenery when speaking of experience does yours???.

Fiona :p

:p Gee golly wow!! 20 years experience means you can confidently asses and dish out advice for any dog from a few paragraphs on the Internet!?!?! You must be a millionaire :D!!!

and I quote.

"I still don't think you see the seriousness of recommending responses like that over the internet. Don't you have Any idea what a wrongly timed correction can do to an aggressive dog?"

"You have literally no idea why this dog is reacting this way, yes we can assume based on what's been written, but geez how do you know the dog doesn't have a medical issue? Or there is just some random factor that the owner hasn't realised? You don't, because, you, haven't, met, the, dog."

I wouldn't expect you to understand where I am coming from which only experience provides that wisdom. You can and I do dish out advice with breed specific behaviour that I am extremely familiar with and the OP's situation is one of those. Timing of the correction was detailed more than once of you read my posts properly. If you believe that a 12 month old intact male GSD may have a medical condition causing this behaviour is a testament of someone lacking breed knowledge and experience to suggest something so left of centre :laugh: It's virtually still a puppy learning how to be tough, not a hardened aggressor that everyone wants to quiver in their boots over, I don't need to see the dog, it's common adolecent GSD behaviour, albiet can escalate to serious aggression over the next 6 months or so if allowed to continue.

Fiona :cry:

Seriously pull your head out of wherever its stuck and realise how dangerous giving that kind of advice is on a public forum! Are you going to pay the medical or vet bills if some idiot who has no idea follows your "advice"?

So just because its highly unlikely means it is impossible the dog would have a medical issue? I'm sure you realise, being so experienced and filled with knowledge, that dogs can get sick? Even GSDs? And that there are rare medical issues that can create aggression? Or even common ones such as joint problems. I know its obviously highly unlikely, so is winning the lottery but I know someone who did. Just because something is highly unlikely, doesn't mean its impossible. I was trying to pick something "left of centre" to point out the fact that you cannot judge a dog until you have met that dog. The fact you "laughed", just shows your ignorance.

As far as not having "Breed experience" goes, my family has always owned GSDs until our current dogs. None of which ever had problems :).

and Sure I'll give advice, I'm never stupid enough to recommend anything for a dog with aggressive issues, because, Once Again. You do not know the dog or the owner.

I wouldn't expect you to understand where I am coming from which only experience provides that wisdom. You can and I do dish out advice with breed specific behaviour that I am extremely familiar with and the OP's situation is one of those. Timing of the correction was detailed more than once of you read my posts properly. If you believe that a 12 month old intact male GSD may have a medical condition causing this behaviour is a testament of someone lacking breed knowledge and experience to suggest something so left of centre :crazy: ,It's virtually still a puppy learning how to be tough, not a hardened aggressor that everyone wants to quiver in their boots over I don't need to see the dog, it's common adolecent GSD behaviour, albiet can escalate to serious aggression over the next 6 months or so if allowed to continue.

Fiona :cry:

Last time I checked, a puppy "learning to be tough" and a "hardened aggressor" bite remarkably similarly. In recent weeks there have been one of two people dispensing "correct 'em hard' advice about dealing with aggresson on this forum with apparent disregard to the potential danger that may place a handler in.

Please stop it. No professional worth their salt would do it. A dog's behavior cannot be explained by breed alone and in my opinion what you are doing is downright dangerous. Aggression is NOT breed specific behaviour. If it was, then breed specific legislation might actually be worthwhile.

As I posted, I have seen a GSD turn on its handler when checked off a dog. Not every dog will tolerate being jerked around and your advice could get someone seriously hurt. :)

I've also seen the chunk a GSD ripped out of his owners arm after being hung on a lead.

At least I'm not alone in thinking that dealing out this kind of advice is down right dangerous.

I wouldn't expect you to understand where I am coming from which only experience provides that wisdom. You can and I do dish out advice with breed specific behaviour that I am extremely familiar with and the OP's situation is one of those. Timing of the correction was detailed more than once of you read my posts properly. If you believe that a 12 month old intact male GSD may have a medical condition causing this behaviour is a testament of someone lacking breed knowledge and experience to suggest something so left of centre :laugh: ,It's virtually still a puppy learning how to be tough, not a hardened aggressor that everyone wants to quiver in their boots over I don't need to see the dog, it's common adolecent GSD behaviour, albiet can escalate to serious aggression over the next 6 months or so if allowed to continue.

Fiona :noidea:

Please stop it. No professional worth their salt would do it. A dog's behavior cannot be explained by breed alone and in my opinion what you are doing is downright dangerous. Aggression is NOT breed specific behaviour. If it was, then breed specific legislation might actually be worthwhile.

As I posted, I have seen a GSD turn on its handler when checked off a dog. Not every dog will tolerate being jerked around and your advice could get someone seriously hurt. :laugh:

I didn't recommend a "check" Poodlefan, that's why they redirect because the corrrection is half hearted, more an agitation. Dog's can't redirect during an air block and is the exact correction or saftey measure if you like for a handler aggressive dog that comes back up the leash. I am intersted to know if you have ever trained and handled an aggressive dog :laugh:

Fiona :D

In WA i would highly recommend Kathy Koppellis McLeod- she is the best behaviourist in Perth i know of and although she won't use corrections of a physical nature there is no one else i know of that has the experience she does.

Thanks.

I'm hearing Kathy's name crop up a fair bit today.

I have phoned 5 trainers (including Kathy K-P) and a Veterinary Behaviourist. I spoke to the VB, explained a bit, she's sending me a questionnaire and said she can see me when I'm in Perth.

Two trainers have got back to me. One of them is Danielle Brueschke, who coincidentally apprenticed under Kathy K-P.

She says that her and Kathy are "two of the few positive trainers / behaviour consultants who work with aggressive dogs in WA".

So I think I'll end up choosing either Danielle or Kathy, but which one?? Obviously Kathy must be more experienced, so might wait till she gets back to me.

In the meantime, I took Rocky down the beach this evening on a 20m long line. There were not supposed to be other dogs around, or that was the plan anyway!

We got out of the car and I saw a neighbour with her Golden Retriever about 25m away, walking towards us. Then Rocky saw them, just as I was trying to get his attention.

He was aroused, tail up, ears forward, etc.

I called him to me and pulled on his Gentle Leader slightly. He gave a bit of a "Huh" (rather than a "woof") to the dog, and came with me, but still excited and looking behind at the dog. I put him in a sit and c/t for eye contact. Didn't get too much eye contact though, as he was staring at the dog who had, by now, passed us and was walking away.

Close call, cos I don't want him to PRACTICE an aggressive reaction.

Played fetch in and out of the water on the (now deserted) beach, with short breaks for c/t eye contact. :laugh:

I didn't recommend a "check" Poodlefan, that's why they redirect because the corrrection is half hearted, more an agitation. Dog's can't redirect during an air block and is the exact correction or saftey measure if you like for a handler aggressive dog that comes back up the leash. I am intersted to know if you have ever trained and handled an aggressive dog :laugh:

Fiona :sleep:

That's right, no "check".. a full stringing up. Of course all of this is crystal clear from the practical demonstration you provided NOT.

You need him on a leash and watch for an aggressive reaction and the moment he goes to lunge, lift the leash straight up, front legs off the ground with harsh NO command and air block him, hold him up until he looks at you, then slowly release him to the ground.

That would take more than a bit of good timing to be effective don't you think??? And more than a little knowledge of dog body language. All of which you've assumed the OP has, based on your experience in the breed. It also requires another person with the small dog to act as guinea pig OR for the handler to create this situations with hapless members of the public and their dogs. And all without any professional supervison, gear checks or a muzzle. Wonderful. :D

Based on your GSD knowledge you also know that THIS handler is phyically capable of this manoevre AND that the dog is routinely walked on a suitable collar. :laugh: For all you ACTUALLY know Malsrock, this dog could be walked on a halti (/ETA: and golly gee Mals, it IS) and the handler might be under 5 feet tall with chronic back pain.

I am intersted to know if you have ever trained and handled an aggressive dog :laugh:

Actually I have. Fortunately for me, I had a hell of a lot more common sense than to take the advice on someone with no verifiable credentials holding forth on an internet forum without ever having met me me OR my dog. I sought professional help for a dog aggressive adolescent and I got what I needed. What worries me is that some poor individual is going to take you at your word and lose half their face as a result.

Like the handler of the dog I mentioned earlier in the thread who snatched his GSD's leash from me when I had the dog on its hind legs and got a very nasty bite as result. Transferred aggression is a bitch.

You just have to get into a pissing contest with anyone who disagrees with you. I have absolutely no doubt that you have more experience with dog aggressive dogs, given that you state you have 20 years experience with this breed and you appear to regard such behaviour as perfectly normal. God help the GSD if that's true

I train pet dogs and owners (not professionally). What becomes apparent pretty quickly is that confidence and handling skills vary widely. I also know that handlers for the most part don't give a toss what I can do with their dogs or indeed what I can do with mine. They want me to teach them how to handle their dogs themselves.

Don't make a total fool of yourself by suggesting that any aggression issue can be successfully resolved without factoring the HANDLER'S capability and understanding into the resolution process.

I'll say it again. When people come here asking for advice on aggression, they don't need to know what you can do or what I can do. They need to know where to get help from someone who can show THEM what to do safely. What you can or cannot do with a dog and how well you can train them won't matter a damn if someone follows your advice and gets hurt. When you analyse a dog and provide advice blind, that's a real possiblity. :noidea:

So again I say. Please don't give this kind of advice. You're shooting blind down an alley and you have no bloody idea of who is standing in it.

Edited by poodlefan

I totally agree again - it is not about whether corrections should or shouldn't be used, but the fact it is not safe to recommend any real method of dealing with this dog's aggression without seeing it. Despite what anyone may infer, no one here knows what method would be best for this dog without seeing it. No one here is a magician, no one can diagnose an aggression problem over the internet without even seeing the dog first.

Dog training doesn't begin and finish in Australia. There are MANY working dog trainers who successfully provide training advice worldwide without seeing the dog, that philosophy is absolute nonesense and is merely a protocol adopted by some that probably didn't have the confidence to understand the behaviour and required more time to work it out. If the OP asked that question on a worldwide working dog forum, she would have got video reponses what to do along with the advise of many very competent and respected people.

You don't have to always see the dog and in this case, the OP provided enough information in a very detailed description of the dog's behaviour to understand exactly what the dog is doing :laugh:

Fiona :laugh:

You don't have to always see the dog and in this case, the OP provided enough information in a very detailed description of the dog's behaviour to understand exactly what the dog is doing :laugh:

So you're happy with this dog being strung up on a gentle leader then. In addition to almost guaranteeing that the damn thing will come off, it wrenches the dog's head around to the point of potential spinal injury and places the handlers arm right next to the dog's jaw. Houston we have a potential for injury to the dog/redirected aggression and/or a loose dog. Oops. :laugh:

If the OP asked that question on a worldwide working dog forum, she would have got video reponses what to do along with the advise of many very competent and respected people.

Sadly, she's getting a lot less than that from you.

Edited by poodlefan

Fiona :sleep:

That's right, no "check".. a full stringing up. Of course all of this is crystal clear from the practical demonstration you provided NOT.

You need him on a leash and watch for an aggressive reaction and the moment he goes to lunge, lift the leash straight up, front legs off the ground with harsh NO command and air block him, hold him up until he looks at you, then slowly release him to the ground.

That would take more than a bit of good timing to be effective don't you think??? And more than a little knowledge of dog body language. All of which you've assumed the OP has, based on your experience in the breed. It also requires another person with the small dog to act as guinea pig OR for the handler to create this situations with hapless members of the public and their dogs. And all without any professional supervison, gear checks or a muzzle. Wonderful. :D

Based on your GSD knowledge you also know that THIS handler is phyically capable of this manoevre AND that the dog is routinely walked on a suitable collar. :laugh: For all you ACTUALLY know Malsrock, this dog could be walked on a halti (and indeed it IS) and the handler might be under 5 feet tall with chronic back pain.

I am intersted to know if you have ever trained and handled an aggressive dog :laugh:

Actually I have. Fortunately for me, I had a hell of a lot more common sense than to take the advice on someone with no verifiable credentials holding forth on an internet forum without ever having met me me OR my dog. I sought professional help for a dog aggressive adolescent and I got what I needed. What worries me is that some poor individual is going to take you at your word and lose half their face as a result.

Like the handler of the dog I mentioned earlier in the thread who snatched his GSD's leash from me when I had the dog on its hind legs and got a very nasty bite as result. Transferred aggression is a bitch.

You just have to get into a pissing contest with anyone who disagrees with you. I have absolutely no doubt that you have more experience with dog aggressive dogs, given that you state you have 20 years experience with this breed and you appear to regard such behaviour as perfectly normal. God help the GSD if that's true

I train pet dogs and owners (not professionally). What becomes apparent pretty quickly is that confidence and handling skills vary widely. I also know that handlers for the most part don't give a toss what I can do with their dogs or indeed what I can do with mine. They want me to teach them how to handle their dogs themselves.

Don't make a total fool of yourself by suggesting that any aggression issue can be successfully resolved without factoring the HANDLER'S capability and understanding into the resolution process.

I'll say it again. When people come here asking for advice on aggression, they don't need to know what you can do or what I can do. They need to know where to get help from someone who can show THEM what to do safely. What you can or cannot do with a dog and how well you can train them won't matter a damn if someone follows your advice and gets hurt. When you analyse a dog and provide advice blind, that's a real possiblity. :noidea:

So again I say. Please don't give this kind of advice. You're shooting blind down an alley and you have no bloody idea of who is standing in it.

Poodlefan,

You are entitled to your opinion as I am of mine. The difference is, bearing in mind that the OP has provided a series of examples where the dog has lunged to engage another dog and she clearly doesn't know how to stop the dog's attack. An air block acts an emergency brake and for the sake of the other dog's saftey an air block WILL stop the engagement in the moment and save the other (small) dog a potential injury or perhaps death. If you have a dog that can lunge in aggression, you have to know and be capable of stopping an engagement and controlling the dog if things turn pear shape. I have known several strong GSD's that can physically drag their owners along in an aggression focus which is a very scary situation to endure especially not having a clue how to stop the dog's forward motion and desire to attack. Anyone who has a dog that can be aggressive, need to learn and know how to stop a reaction if one occurs, otherwise the dog ends up in the backyard rotting away as no one has confidence in their ability to handle it.

There is no "pissing contest" on my part, I have merely stated my experience level owning and training aggressive dogs, GSD's in particular, and for the record, I don't provide any advice in behavioural areas where I have achieved no competence or have no experience for the sake of writing a post.

Fiona :rofl:

You don't have to always see the dog and in this case, the OP provided enough information in a very detailed description of the dog's behaviour to understand exactly what the dog is doing :noidea:

So you're happy with this dog being strung up on a gentle leader then. In addition to almost guaranteeing that the damn thing will come off, it wrenches the dog's head around to the point of potential spinal injury and places the handlers arm right next to the dog's jaw. Houston we have a potential for injury to the dog/redirected aggression and/or a loose dog. Oops. :laugh:

If the OP asked that question on a worldwide working dog forum, she would have got video reponses what to do along with the advise of many very competent and respected people.

Sadly, she's getting a lot less than that from you.

That's being silly now Poodlefan, I am happy to engage in constructive discussion........but to suggest I would correct a dog on Gentle Leader is laughable. I have provided my view, other people have provided theirs and the OP can make their own decision what fits best :laugh:

Fiona :D

In WA i would highly recommend Kathy Koppellis McLeod- she is the best behaviourist in Perth i know of and although she won't use corrections of a physical nature there is no one else i know of that has the experience she does.

Thanks.

I'm hearing Kathy's name crop up a fair bit today.

I have phoned 5 trainers (including Kathy K-P) and a Veterinary Behaviourist. I spoke to the VB, explained a bit, she's sending me a questionnaire and said she can see me when I'm in Perth.

Two trainers have got back to me. One of them is Danielle Brueschke, who coincidentally apprenticed under Kathy K-P.

She says that her and Kathy are "two of the few positive trainers / behaviour consultants who work with aggressive dogs in WA".

So I think I'll end up choosing either Danielle or Kathy, but which one?? Obviously Kathy must be more experienced, so might wait till she gets back to me.

In the meantime, I took Rocky down the beach this evening on a 20m long line. There were not supposed to be other dogs around, or that was the plan anyway!

We got out of the car and I saw a neighbour with her Golden Retriever about 25m away, walking towards us. Then Rocky saw them, just as I was trying to get his attention.

I called him to me and pulled on his Gentle Leader slightly. He gave a bit of a "Huh" (rather than a "woof") to the dog, and came with me, but still excited and looking behind at the dog. I put him in a sit and c/t for eye contact. Didn't get too much eye contact though, as he was staring at the dog who had, by now, passed us and was walking away.

Played fetch in and out of the water on the (now deserted) beach, with short breaks for c/t eye contact. :laugh:

You need a proper K9 trainer RockDog IMHO

Edited by malsrock

Based on your GSD knowledge you also know that THIS handler is phyically capable of this manoevre AND that the dog is routinely walked on a suitable collar. :laugh: For all you ACTUALLY know Malsrock, this dog could be walked on a halti (/ETA: and golly gee Mals, it IS) and the handler might be under 5 feet tall with chronic back pain.

OMG that's spooky! :noidea:

Not only do I have Rocky on a Gentle Leader, but I'm 5'1", AND I've been off work this whole year with chronic back pain :laugh: :D

If I was stupid enough to attempt a leash hang, it certainly wouldn't be very effective and I'd prob be in hospital for a week! :laugh:

Do you have any calming exercises you do with him? My little firecracker goes up in arousal and can be hard to bring down again. He's still a bit socially (and emotionally?) immature and seems to benefit greatly from a bit of help every now and then to calm down again. I do a lot of TTouch and massage with him and pair it with a verbal cue "shh". It's interesting to see that sometimes a bit of that goes a looooong way. It's still a work in progress for us, and he doesn't always come down as fast or as far as would be ideal, but I'm impressed with how useful it's been all the same. It took a little while when he was quite young to get him appreciating it enough to sit still for it in the first place, and we did some practice revving him up a little and bringing him down again and clicking for tail down and sleepy eyes and that sort of thing as described in Control Unleashed. I think that helped as well, but not sure to what extent. I'm not sure why, but for my little guy, working on his hindquarters seems to be just the thing for calming him, followed by some long strokes down his back to calm him some more. He often comes back for more of that. My other dog turns to putty in your hands if you massage his chest.

There's also Karen Overall's Protocol for Relaxation, which is a good (though somewhat tedious) exercise for teaching a dog to be calm. It can take a bit of work to condition an excitable dog to calm down on cue, but I think it's something quite useful to spend time on. Maybe that's just me, though. I think that it helps avert the practicing of behaviour seen when a dog is aroused when you don't want that aroused behaviour.

Pretty glad you seem to have your head screwed on! Everyone on the internet is an expert, you know. :laugh:

That's being silly now Poodlefan, I am happy to engage in constructive discussion........but to suggest I would correct a dog on Gentle Leader is laughable. I have provided my view, other people have provided theirs and the OP can make their own decision what fits best :laugh:

And yet Fiona, based on your advice in this thread, that's precisely what would have happened if the OP had followed it.You wouldn't do it but taken literally, YOU DID SUGGEST IT to the OP.

I call that an epic fail that could have led to disaster. You said to have the dog on lead and to apply the correction. This dog is walked on a Gentle Leader. At no stage have you metioned collars at all. Silly silly mistake but it wouldn't have been you that paid the price.

This handler is also not physically capable of applying the correction you said she should use. Had you met her, you'd have known that too.

Even clicker using, positive reinforcing, poodle owning volunteer pet trainer weenies like me know better than offer advice in these circumstances. We actually check gear and the professional K9 trainers and handlers I know do the same. Indeed, they use THEIR gear when trainng other people's aggressive dogs. They also look at the dog in front of them and assume nothing based on breed.

Earlier in the thread I said:

You plunged on blindly and made a basic and very dangerous training error. Your credibllity as a trainer just jumped the shark as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for putting it beyond any doubt that the OP should take no notice of what you're saying.

This situation would be laughable if it wasn't so potentially dangerous. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Correct SAFE gear is VERY important, especially if the dog is large and acting aggressively and if you intend to apply pressure on the gear via corrections/dog lunging etc. I have seen first hand what can happen if leads/collars break in important circumstances :laugh: (yep dealing with security dogs in training).

Edited by Kavik

Dog's can't redirect during an air block and is the exact correction or saftey measure if you like for a handler aggressive dog that comes back up the leash

This guy uses them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9YOyM2TAk

Probably a bad example because he gets bitten quite a lot, probably doesn't have much experience though.

Oh well, at least that dog is now safe. I can't imagine that dog would ever bite anyone else after that experience, no sir. Actually, it wasn't clear if he had ever bitten anyone before either. But what reason would he have to bite someone now? People are definitely "alpha" over him and he knows it! :laugh:

I hate that video.. :) And that the owners say at the end that they are so relieved the dog is dominant not aggressive :)

One thing that you learn when working with people- is how limited most are with dog handling skills. Fair enough too- they aren't professionals or even enthusiasts and we shouldn't expect them to be. Techniques are NOT just determined by dog behvaiour- they are determined by dog behaviour and owner capability.

Edited by Cosmolo