Vaccination And Titre Tests

pixie_meg

So we got Oberon titre tested a week ago. Didn't think to ask how much it would be (stupidly). I'd last read on here that people had paid on average $70 - $120. My bill was $295. Anyone thats not what this post is about - lesson learnt, ask the cost first. Oberons results came back good. Which is fantastic. I don't know the exact results, i'll find out when i go back in. For those interested he'd had an 8 week and 12 week shot only. not endorsing only 2 shots but thats what he had.

So my questions

how often do those who get titres done do them? yearly?

how much do you pay for your titre test?

how much do you pay for a c3 vaccination?

I would not bother yearly. If you are conservative, every three years.

does that depend on the numbers on the result?

Not really - titre levels will fluctuate based on exposure etc. The point for me is that if the dog has immunity, it has immunity. What you are really checking for is appropriate immune response, so if the average dog comes across an average amount of parvo on walks etc, it will have an average titer response. A very high response might just mean the dog has come in contact with a lot of the virus recently and so the immune system has responded to the threat.

That's pretty pricey what you paid though.

I would not bother yearly. If you are conservative, every three years.

does that depend on the numbers on the result?

Not really - titre levels will fluctuate based on exposure etc. The point for me is that if the dog has immunity, it has immunity. What you are really checking for is appropriate immune response, so if the average dog comes across an average amount of parvo on walks etc, it will have an average titer response. A very high response might just mean the dog has come in contact with a lot of the virus recently and so the immune system has responded to the threat.

That's pretty pricey what you paid though.

i'll be shopping around for the price next time. its the first titre my vet had done it seems and the price was more than likely the company they chose. I've since heard of similar costs for the titre.

I do mine annually - I also do bloods every six months.

Our vet does it in his surgery and it costs us about $65 from memory - similar to C3.

Annually just means it is easier to show everyone who wants to see it and talk through whether they will accept it or not. also - builds up a bit of a history for us to look at.

We send ours to WA and it's $85 without consult and about $110 with one. It depends which virus you're testing for as Hepatitis isn't done at the Lab but is sent overseas. We only do the Distemper and Parvo titres which are done at the Lab in WA. :confused:

Edited by stormie

$147 for parvo, distemper and hep. $215 total including consult and blood sampling.

Was only after the parvo and distemper as Darcy's hep scores were really good last time. Vet doesn't remember that part of the conversation despite entering into it and agreeing with me at the time so paying for the hep score is still up in the air.

Was some resistance as to why I was titreing instead of vaccinating. He'd had a rough week and I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd be titreing my young dog next year too :rolleyes:

We send ours to WA and it's $85 without consult and about $110 with one. It depends which virus you're testing for as Hepatitis isn't done at the Lab but is sent overseas. We only do the Distemper and Parvo titres which are done at the Lab in WA. :rofl:

Yip had mine done 2 weeks back - paid $66