Not So Great Coat..

♥Baxter♥

What colour and breed is said friend?

Don't know what the color has to do with it but anyways, it's cream & reddish brown, sheep dog.

Browns are more prone to a dry coat and sun bleaching. I would think if you increase his oils and maybe change him to a better quality food (depending of course what he is on) and put some leave in moisturiser in his coat, ideally with a sunscrean his coat will be fine in no time.

I babysat a brown and tan Kelpie who was 18. His coat was dry and split and very pale. 3 weeks of reviva coat and fish oil and it improved quite a bit.

Thats amazing what we learn from here!

What type of sunscreen do you recommend??

I use Fido's Creme conditioner with great success on my two older animals My 13yo GSD and a 15 yo moggy, both showed signs of an old age coat. I find this gives a shine,softens and makes their coats easier to manage. I apply it by rubbing some on my hands then massaging it thru their coat then give them a brush later on. I do not wash them first......PS they smell nice also. The ingredients are Chamomile,Macadamia Nut Oil& Aloe Vera, it sounded good and edible just in case my cat decided to clean herself :rolleyes:

I use Fido's Creme conditioner with great success on my two older animals My 13yo GSD and a 15 yo moggy, both showed signs of an old age coat. I find this gives a shine,softens and makes their coats easier to manage. I apply it by rubbing some on my hands then massaging it thru their coat then give them a brush later on. I do not wash them first......PS they smell nice also. The ingredients are Chamomile,Macadamia Nut Oil& Aloe Vera, it sounded good and edible just in case my cat decided to clean herself :rolleyes:

Yummy ingredients! lol :idea:

being an older dog as you said sometimes there bodys may not take in the all the good stuff that is in their diet it may leave them with dull malting coat and itchy or dry skin bad breath and all out bad health and muscle joint heath in the long run because what they have been fed. there are many suppliments if people cannot affort to buy premium food for the loved one.

You would notice a dog fed on pal crap can food, will poo heaps runnie constistancy compared to a dog fed on a premium raw diet or high kibble long term effects as well as short as well as there over all condition but there are other things you would consider some dogs prefer and react differently to types of food that you feed them.

omega 3 and other oils

*fish like sardines etc

*flax seed oil

*extra virgin live oil

* shark cartlidge

the list just goes on for natural suppliments to help benifit your dogs coat and health.

smetimes switching the diet f your dog over a few weeks you may see your dogs is getting a softer shiny coat compared to before you switched food.

some dogs dont like change being an older dog they may have this problem?

a good run through of a brush that was designed for the dogs coat . different brushes will do different jobs as dumb as it may sound if i was to brush a chihuahua with a slicker brush i wouldn't strip the coat of dead hairs compared if i used a furmination comb designed to do that job, longer coats furmination still works as its very fine toothed and rakes but diet will be your first step to improvement of a dog over all health

good luck

I have been using Vet's All Natural Omega Blend with great sucess on my allergic staffy pup. He's allergic to sardines which I was originally using for coat health. I discovered the Van Omega Blend and have been very happy with it. I chose it because it contains vitamin E which I understand should be given with Omega's.

"A blend of pure, cold pressed Flax Seed Oil, Shark Liver oil, Sunflower oil and Wheat Germ oil. The oil is human consumption grade. Omega Blend oil provides a pure natural sources of Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids, combined with fat soluble vitamins A, D and E."

Heres the website FYI http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/products.html