Itchy Shedding

Flash30Aus

Hi All,

My Border Collie Lucy has been shedding for the last few weeks and appears very itchy.

A little history - I found her on the side of a road, no microchip, and no one came forward to claim her with signs and ads around the place. She had terrible flea allergy dermatitis, worn teeth from chronic chewing of her skin, and as it turns out now, diabetes :confused: She is at least 10 according to the vet, and they think possibly up to 15 yrs.

She is in good condition at the moment, no bare patches on her coat any longer, and being treated with insulin jabs.

But she rolls around on the grass groaning and scratching. Some interesting areas of scratching are her muzzle, she has a small raw patch I noticed today and she has always been abit of a paw licker/chewer, as well as her hips.

I'm wondering if she has an allergy to something I'm feeding, or is it just "normal" shedding behaviour for her?

I give her an antihistermine if I notice its bad, and she is bathed every few weeks. She is always treated for fleas religiously.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Christie

PS: I'm also after a good dog shampoo recommendation for itchy dogs, if possible?

She could have a food allergy or topical (grass, carpet etc.) allergy as well as the flea saliva allergy.

Try adding omegas to her diet (flaxseed oil, fish oil etc) to boost her immune system.

I have been really happy with Fido's Aloe Vera Gel Soap Free Shampoo for relieving itchy dogs.

I've been told it's a bugger time of year for dogs suffering from atopic dermatitis (enviromental eg. grasses, pollens, weeds, dust etc), so it may be that flaring up.

There are a few good websites I have read regarding the best way to deal with it, when your dog has an outbreak. Just google atopic dermatitis, and read away.

Regarding shampoo, I have found Avoleen Shampoo that contains oatmeal to be good, but there are a few brands that do a oatmeal based shampoo that is meant to be very soothing for an itchy dog. Unless of course your dog is allergic to oatmeal, and I know of some that are, then that idea is useless, lol.

I would also take her to the vet if she gets any worse, there are a number of drugs that they could prescribe if need be, as well as antibiotics if the hot spots become infected. Fatty acids and antihistamines are effective when used together as well.

Good luck and hope you get it under control soon.

Thanks Guys,

I used to feed her Fish Oil capsules but stopped when we had the cartrophen injections. I'll pick that up again tomorrow for her.

Thanks for the shampoo recommendations. I wouldn't be surprised if the bugs are making a pest of themselves. My horse has a case of the itchy's at the moment too, and my hubby has hay fever! LOL

Sandra - how much ACV would you put in? She has a 4 litre container - so a table spoon maybe? Also what does it do? I've fed it to my horses also, and its a good all round pick me up for them.

Thanks for your help!

Christie and Lucy

Sandra - how much ACV would you put in? She has a 4 litre container - so a table spoon maybe? Also what does it do? I've fed it to my horses also, and its a good all round pick me up for them.

Thanks for your help!

Christie and Lucy

ACV is an old miracle cure. Well it doesn't cure anything but some people says it assists, we've used it for years and can't say we've seen any difference in our allergic dog - I figure it can't hurt so carry on and hope if anything it keeps the burned lawns to a minimum.

You need to build up slowly with ACV as the dogs will turn their noses up at it, a tablespoon is generally used per water bowl.

if you wish to google some sites about acv with dogs that might be the best. Not a miracle cure, your right, but it cant harm the dog, and it is worth a try.Havent had any adverse reactions by any of my dogs, and my foster dogs dont worry about it either.Im on 5 acres and never had a burnt patch of grass ever, but then i dont have a market garden and im more worried about brown snakes....

Edited by sandra64

Thanks Guys,

I have attacked from all angles and the only thing that seemed to bring instant relief was a malaseb wash. I hope it will keep working until I can wash her again next weekend!

I can't even go a cortisone jab as she is diabetic and the vet told me in reacts badly.

Having said that she is a happier girl since the wash, and I've kept up the antihistamines and fish oil and evening primrose.

My husband is sneezing like a banshee at the moment as well, so there is a fight for the clarityne each morning!

Thanks again,

Christie & Lucy