Vaccination Policy - Annually Or Triannually Or Titre Test Then Decide

Hi all

Choice has put out an article about dog (and cat) vaccinations today. I read mine online but you might need to be a member or pay to read it.

Essentially Choice are quoting Sydney Uni vets suggesting that you need to get your dog vaccinated every three years, and the article contains two "Case studies" where dogs have died from bad reactions to vaccines. Great. Scare me much? :laugh:

My dog has had no major adverse reaction to vaccinations so far - she's two. She is a bit quiet the first day after but apart from that - no problem. But if the effect is cumulative, she might have a bad reaction next time.

I also don't know what to do because my dog club (president is a vet) and most boarding kennels expect to view an up to date vaccination certificate. If I find a vet who agrees with the AVA policy - and I get my dog "titre tested", can that vet write a certificate stating my dog is immunised without actually giving the vaccine that year?

Also how do I know if the virus vaccine is a "killed core vaccine" or not?

http://www.choice.com.au/Reviews-and-Tests...troduction.aspx

a discussion about the cost of titre testing and vaccination - pays to check first.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=205445

Australian Vet Association info on Vaccinations

http://www.ava.com.au/node/1049

this is the policy the AVA has adopted.

from the world small animal vet assocation

pdf "Guidelines for the vaccination of dogs and cats

http://www.wsava.org/PDF/Misc/VGG_09_2007.pdf

extract:

Revaccination of Adult Dogs

Dogs that have responded to vaccination with MLV core vaccines maintain a solid immunity (immunological memory) for many years in the absence of any repeat vaccination.

Following the 12 month booster, subsequent revaccinations are given at intervals of three years or longer, unless special conditions apply.

It should be emphasised that the considerations given above do not generally apply to killed core vaccines nor to the optional vaccines, and particularly not to vaccines containing bacterial antigens. Thus Leptospira, Bordetella and Borrelia (Lyme disease) products require more frequent boosters for reliable protection.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I also don't know what to do because my dog club (president is a vet) and most boarding kennels expect to view an up to date vaccination certificate. If I find a vet who agrees with the AVA policy - and I get my dog "titre tested", can that vet write a certificate stating my dog is immunised without actually giving the vaccine that year?

Any vet should be able to do this for you.

Also how do I know if the virus vaccine is a "killed core vaccine" or not?

Core for dogs is the C3, plus more depending on what diseases are prevalent in your area.

Killed vaccines aren't normally given, most vets will give MLV. MLV last longer & IMO often potentially safer (less adjuvent) than killed. The exception is something like vaccinating a pregnant bitch, you'd give a killed parvo, since a MLV live parvo could cross the placenta & hurt the puppies.

Here's another link, should you wish to view it. It supports the same thing as all the others do (and includes the Choice report - not sure if it is the same one as I haven't taken the time to check it yet).

APVMA Position Statement - Vaccinations

Seems to me that the ONLY people who are not openly advocating the vaccination no more (oops!) less than every 3 years (and I'm NOT talking about the "registered 3-yearly" vaccination, which with what I've read I don't agree with either) instead of annually are the manufacturers of the drugs and many (but not all of ) the vets who administer them.

I don't vaccinate my boy (since puppy vaccination - which I strongly believe are necessary) and have become quite comfortable with that idea. I had him titred 12 months after his last puppy vaccination and this proved sero-conversion.

Edited by Erny

Leptospira interrogans

This is one of the bacterial ones that is better done annually, but I don't think it's included in C5 and I can't figure out (google not helping) - what areas are high risk for it. I'm thinking it's tropical so if I never take my dog to Cairns or Darwin, not needed?

I sent an email to my vet (the one that is my club president) but haven't had a reply yet.