Microchipping

wolfgirl

Cats & dogs can get cancer at the site of surgical implants (for fractured legs, etc), and many types of injectable drug & vaccine increase the risk of certain tumour types in cats, so I guess it is not an unreasonable hypothesis that a microchip may increase the risk of certain types of cancers. Although I have not seen any hard evidence that they actually do increase cancer risk in cats & dogs, only suggestions that they might.

Having said that, I wonder how many animals microchips have saved? All these things are a balancing act. Eating raw bones has killed and injured many dogs, for example, but we still recommend people feed their dogs bones as on the whole it is highly beneficial.

The chips displayed on that site look a heck of a lot different to the ones I've seen here in Australia...

Never heard of any Aussie dogs getting cancer at implant sites.

Funny how the dogs on that site have had all different types of cancers - is there the possibility that the individual dogs could have already been predisposed to the cancers, and that the chip implant was just a catalyst to enable what was already there?

T.

The chips displayed on that site look a heck of a lot different to the ones I've seen here in Australia...

Never heard of any Aussie dogs getting cancer at implant sites.

Funny how the dogs on that site have had all different types of cancers - is there the possibility that the individual dogs could have already been predisposed to the cancers, and that the chip implant was just a catalyst to enable what was already there?

T.

Looks like a good class action case to me coming up - pet owners against local councils who give them no choice.