Friend Had Her House Broken Into...

haylz27

I'm going to make this short.

One of our past neighbours/friend had her house broken into last night while she was up the shops for not even an hour. The back door and laundry door were smashed wide open... and whoever it was took all of her jewelery, and even her chemo therapy medication worth over $8000 (the poor lady has breast cancer). I was seriously disgusted when I heard this. The people even wrote "Die B**** Die!! HAHA" on her bedroom wall. Ugh. Some people seriously make me sick.

Anyway... the reason why I'm telling you this is we think that the people who broke in did something to hurt her dog (maltese x pomeranian).. maybe they kicked him or something. He's a dog that will bark when he hears something outside, then runs up for a good old pat when he meets someone. But he is now absolutely terrified when anyone enters the house (even if he knows the person), particularly men. He won't eat his food or anything. Any suggestions? This just happened last night.. I'm hoping someone has some advice I can give her on how to handle her dog and do get him to eat. He keeps hiding, and he's never usually like that. There are no visible injuries on the dog so far.

I can't believe some people. This lady has been through so much, including 2 previous attempted break-ins this year. People are just cruel. :grouphug:

Take the dog to the vet for a full physical.

After that, I'd be thinking about a veterinary behaviourist. However a bit of time may help and you have to wonder how much the dog is cueing off the owner's distress.

A change of scenery for a few days might benefit them both.

My doG there are some evil disgusting human filth in the world today.

I agree with PF, take the dog to the Vet for a complete check up. At least the dog is alive and 'seems'(?) unhurt ........as anything could have been done to the poor dog.

Haylz ....this is the sort of story the needs bringing to the attention of someone like Neil Mitchell on 3aw...or Derryn Hinch (3aw). I hope your friend and her dog recovers from this terrible ordeal.

My mum just got off the phone to her and she said she's taking him to the vet tomorrow afternoon just to make sure everything is okay.

ShelleandShyla: They probably took them just to make a quick buck. The sad thing is, they probably will not replace the meds.

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone, I will let you know how he goes at the vet and such tomorrow.

That is so sad :grouphug: poor lady and poor doggy. The dog must have seen everything and it got a terrible fright seeing strangers inside the house.

I hope they both recover well from this terrible experience. :cry:

If only our dogs could talk (may have been someone she knows).

How terrible, there are some horrible people in this world.

Something similar happened to my Japanese Chin.

The Chin gradually regained his confidence but it was so sad that someone would do that to him. He was quite badly injured. Broken ribs, damage to his liver and spleen, bruising all over, and a broken leg and tail. Obviously been thrown around and/or kicked.

Take him to the vet to ensure he is not physically hurt

Sometimes a dab of Vegemite makes food more interesting. 1/2 a Periactin tablet (chemist, over the counter) 1/2 hour before one of his meals will give him appetite.

Put him on a calming drug for dogs (maybe Valium or clomicalm or something to keep him calm and serene, ask the vet)

Allow him to get over it in his own time. All visitors could give him pats and treats. Don't let them force themselves on him, but once he is a little curious, they can give him a treat or drop or throw a treat on the floor for him, if he wont allow anyone close enough to give him the treat

He has been frightened/hurt. He is not behaving badly. He is behaving as you would expect. If some bloody robber knocked me around, I would stay away from strangers, he is behaving like a sensible dog.

Give him a bit of time - ie, a month or so, before spending money on behavourists. He will probably recover on his own but a day or two is not long enough. The owners may need to show him some leadership and give him some reassurance.

I hope he recovers and thrives, poor little man.

Be happy he was not killed - lots of smaller dogs in burgled houses lose their lives, not because they are a threat, but because the burglars felt like killing something. And they were basically bogans - as these were.

You need a big dog to protect the little dogs, or bars on all your windows :cry:

Edited. After the robbery, I obtained an adult rottweiler. There was another attempted burglary within a month. The door was broken open, nothing was taken, the rottweiler, which had been inside, was outside, and there were footprints in the gardens near the fence where someone jumped out. :grouphug::cry:

No problems after that at all :cry:

Edited by Octavia