Whats The Difference?

*Lolapalooza*

What is the difference between a Canon lens with IS USM after the numbers and just USM Please?

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM

Sorry I am a lens tard and am researching good long distance lenses for dog show pics which will leave gorgeous clear action and stacked shots with gently blurring backgrounds (does this even make sense? :( )

Please feel free to point me in the right direction of good lenses with less than 2000 price tag

What is the difference between a Canon lens with IS USM after the numbers and just USM Please?

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM

Sorry I am a lens tard and am researching good long distance lenses for dog show pics which will leave gorgeous clear action and stacked shots with gently blurring backgrounds (does this even make sense? :thumbsup: )

Please feel free to point me in the right direction of good lenses with less than 2000 price tag

In really basic terms

IS is image stabliser.

You're in a bit of a pickle if you're tossing up between these two lenses. Essentially the 2.8 is what is considered a 'fast' lens. It can let in more light than the f4 so you can choose a faster shutter speed if desired.

The f4 is a slower lens and therefore the IS is REALLY needed because you don't have the potential to use a really fast shutter speed like on the 2.8.

However, that being said, If you're buying a lens that goes to 200, you will really want IS. Even if you have a 2.8, most people (not all) but most people still have too much movement in their arms to shoot at 200 without stablising of some sort (whether it's built in or it's by using a tripod,monopod etc.)

Guest Tess32
I use the 70-200 F4 for dog shows.

OMG your pictures are amazing I just had a look at your website. I want to go to the zoo now! :p

Thanks ;) I use a 100-400 L at the zoo :laugh:

I haven't had a problem yet and I have been shooting on a 450D so can't crank the ISO up much higher than 200 without it being really noisy. That being said, I have very steady hands. Now that I can shoot on a higher ISO (i upgraded my camera which should arrive tomorrow), I don't think I'll have much of a problem.

When my hands start to shake more (which I think will happen), i'm sure i'll have to upgrade the lens but hopefully that won't be for a while!