How Much To Feed 5.5 Month Old Lab Puppy

Hi there

My 5.5 month old lab is now on 2 meals per day. We're feeding her Eukanubu puppy, which the breeder recommended and she's done really well on. We feed 2 cups in the morning (plus 3-4 teaspoons of yougurt) and 2 cups in the evening, plus a small handful sardines or rice, or a chicken neck or wing.

Is this enough food? She is quite active - doggie daycare once a week, at another lab's house 2-3 times a week, plus daily walks. I don't want to risk overfeeding her, but she is looking slim (ie she has a waist, no ribs visible).

How much should we be increasing her food by over the next few months...?

Unless your breeder has given you a specific recommendation, go with your Lab's body condition. ;)

Should look "healthy" have a nice shiny coat and preferably you should be able to feel ribs easily (but not see them!!)

It's REALLY important that you don't overfeed as this will cause way more problems structurally than underfeeding at this stage and giving into those pleading Lab eyes sure doesn't help! ;)

Hope this helps!

Unless your breeder has given you a specific recommendation, go with your Lab's body condition. ;)

Should look "healthy" have a nice shiny coat and preferably you should be able to feel ribs easily (but not see them!!)

It's REALLY important that you don't overfeed as this will cause way more problems structurally than underfeeding at this stage and giving into those pleading Lab eyes sure doesn't help! ;)

Hope this helps!

x2

If the dog is too thin feed it more, if the dog is too fat feed it less. Very simple! And make sure with a Lab that you keep her on the leaner side, they really REALLY aren't meant to be chubsters!

I feed my 6 month old lab puppy 2-3 cups of puppy dry plus bones

I fed Mason probably 1,5 cups of dry feed a day plus a bone or some sardines, yoghurt, cottage cheese etc. I would say that 4 cups is probably too much on its own but with all the other stuff too it may be a bit excessive.

Yeah i agree 4 cups sounds like alot. what brand are you using?

I have to feed my dog a bit more because she's on PAL due to some stomach issues (she seems to tolerate crappy food better lol) but when she was on premium, she was getting less.

I'd say around 3 cups would be fine if puppy isn't getting bones or other food. That is what guide dogs has recommended for a 6 month old pup.

I don't think you need to increase her food intake over then next few months. If anything i would be giving more bones.

Thanks everyone :rofl:

She's on Eukanubu puppy.

At least I know we're not starving her :coffee: But it is so hard to tell when she eats is so quickly and then gives you those pleading looks of starvation!

Thanks everyone :rofl:

She's on Eukanubu puppy.

At least I know we're not starving her :laugh: But it is so hard to tell when she eats is so quickly and then gives you those pleading looks of starvation!

How much does she weigh now?? Can you maybe post a pic so we can see if she looks ok on the amount of food she is on? All dogs are different, mine picks up weight easily on raw but kibble just goes in one end and out the other with him.