Timber For Sandpit

Sam the man

We've had a clam shell for Sam's sandpit. OH wants to make him one out of timber (with no bottom) so when it rains the sand is able to drain better. Now he is wondering if it is made out of treated timber and Sam decides to chew it, it might make him sick. Then he was thinking of ordinary timber which would have to be sealed/painted and thought this might make him sick also. Any alternatives to timber or is either of the above okay.

Thanks for posts so far. :coffee: Since I did the first one OH has been talking to MIL and she suggested using the plastic garden edging from Bunnings. We may look into that. I would prefer something with a straight edge (rather than the clam shell) to make it easier to mow around.

Check around for Eco-sleepers (our local sand and gravel place have them). They are not treated and recommended for vege beds. They cost a little more about $24 each.

There are also concrete sleepers which are held together with metal corner posts again they are about $24 each and the corner posts are about $10 but are easy to put together and pretty indestructible (google will explain it better than me LOL)

Eco wood or nature wood sleepers are treated but not with an arsenic based product the way 'normal' treated sleepers are. It may be an option.

Alternately untreated hardwood would last a fairly long time (would fade to a greyish colour) even though not treated (if you have seen pictures of 'Petes Patch' in Tassie on Gardening Australia, this is what was used for the veggie beds).

As suggested another alternative is concrete sleepers.